Approximation Algorithms for a Capacitated Network Design Problem
We study a network loading problem with applications in local access network design. Given a network, the problem is to route flow from several sources to a sink and to install capacity on the edges to support flows at minimum cost. Capacity can be purchased only in multiples of a fixed quantity. All the flow from a source must be routed in a single path to the sink. This NP-hard problem generalizes the Steiner tree problem and also more effectively models the applications traditionally formulated as capacitated tree problems. We present an approximation algorithm with performance ratio (ρST+2) where ρST is the performance ratio of any approximation algorithm for minimum Steiner tree. When all sources have the same demand value, the ratio improves to (nST +1) and in particular, to 2 when all nodes in the graph are sources.
KeywordsApproximation Algorithm Source Node Sink Node Steiner Tree Network Design Problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- AZ98.M. Andrews and L. Zhang, “The access network design problem,” In Proc. of the 39th Ann. IEEE Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, (1998) 42–49Google Scholar
- KR98.Kawatra, R. and D. L. Bricker, “A multiperiod planning model for the capacitated minimal spanning tree problem”, to appear in European Journal of Operational Research (1998)Google Scholar
- KRY 93.
- MP 94.Y. Mansour and D. Peleg, “An approximation algorithm for minimum-cost network design,” The Weizman Institute of Science, Rehovot, 76100 Israel, Tech. Report CS94-22, 1994; Also presented at the DIMACS workshop on Robust Communication Networks, 1998.Google Scholar
- Pap78.C. H. Papadimitriou, “The complexity of the capacitated tree problem,” Networks, 8, (1978) 217–230Google Scholar
- RZ00.G. Robins and A. Zelikovsky, “Improved steiner tree approximation in graphs”, Proc. of the 10th Ann. ACM-SIAM Symp. on Discrete Algorithms, (2000) 770–779Google Scholar
- SCR+97.F.S. Salman, J. Cheriyan, R. Ravi and S. Subramanian, “Buy-at-bulk network design: Approximating the single-sink edge installation problem,” Proc. of the 8th Ann. ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, (1997) 619–628Google Scholar
- SS99.B. Sanso and P. Soriano, Editors, “Telecommunications Network Planning,” Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1999.Google Scholar