Enhancements to Mobile IP with Active Networks
This paper investigates application of active networking technology to enhance Internet Engineering TaskF orce (IETF) Mobile IP. We propose an active delivery scheme (ADS) that enhances the operation of Mobile IP. ADS contains the following functionalities: redirection of packets, fast handoff, efficient delivery of binding updates and a frameworkfor aggregation location update messages. Simulation results show significant improvements in transmission control protocol (TCP) performance with ADS. The performance of ADS is compared with those of original and optimised schemes. The improvements due to ADS are most significant when both communicating ends are mobile and during high handoff latencies.
KeywordsTransmission Control Protocol Mobile Host None None Home Agent Congestion Window
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. Perkins, “RFC2002: IP mobility support,” Oct. 1996. 398Google Scholar
- 2.C. Perkins, “IETF draft: Route optimization in mobile IP,” Dec. 1997. 398, 409Google Scholar
- 3.R. Caceres and V. N. Padmanabhan, “Fast and scalable handoffs for wireless internetworks,” in ACM/IEEE MOBICOM'96, (Rye, New York, USA), Nov. 1996. 401Google Scholar
- 4.B. R. Badrinath and P. Sudame, “Car pooling on the net: Performance and implications,” in ACM SIGCOMM'99, (Massachusetts, USA), 1999. 406Google Scholar
- 6.Network Research Group, “ns-LBNL network simulator.” Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. http://www-nrg-ee.lbl.gov/ns/. 409
- 7.D. S. Alexander, M. Shaw, S. M. Nettles, and J. M. Smith, “Active bridging,” in Proceedings of SIGCOMM '97, 1997. 409Google Scholar
- 8.D. S. Alexander, B. Braden, C. A. Gunter, A. W. Jackson, A. D. Keromytis, G. J. Minden, and D. Wetherall, “Active networke ncapsulation protocol (ANEP),” July 1997. http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~switchware/ANEP/docs/ANEP.txt. 409
- 9.S. Seshan, H. Balakrishnan, and R. H. Katz, “Handoffs in cellular wireless networks: The Daedalus implementation and experience,” Kluwer International Journal on Wireless Communication Systems, 1996. To Appear. 410Google Scholar
- 10.H. Balakrishnan, V. N. Padmanabhan, S. Seshan, and R. H. Katz, “A comparison of mechanisms for improving TCP performance over wireless links,” IEEE/ACM Transaction on Networking, Dec. 1997. 410Google Scholar