A Software Framework for Combining Iconic and Semantic Content for Retrieval of Histological Images
Content-based Image Retrieval (CBIR) is becoming an important component of a database system as it allows retrieval of images by objective measures such as color and texture. Nevertheless, retrieval of images intelligently by computer is still not common. In addition, different users might have different requirements so we need to address their needs by providing a more flexible retrieval mechanism. Finally, we might want to add CBIR functionality to existing system but none of the existing techniques is able to do this easily because they usually rely on one single environment. In this paper, we describe the design of a histological image retrieval system (I-Browse) that addresses the above three issues.
KeywordsImage Retrieval Semantic Content Query Image Index Scheme Histological Image
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Babu M. Mehtre, Mohan S. Kankanhalli, A. Desai Narasimhalu, Guo Chang Man, “Colour Matching For Image Retrieval, Pattern Recognition Letters”, 325–331(1995).Google Scholar
- 5.Mohan S. Kankanhalli, Babu M. Mehtre and Jian Kang Wu, “Cluster-based Colour Matching For Image Retrieval”, 29(4), 701–708(1996).Google Scholar
- 6.Alberto Del Bimbo and Pietro Pala, “Visual Image Retrieval by Elastic Matching of User Sketches”, IEEE Trans. on PAMI, 19(2), 121–132(1997).Google Scholar
- 8.Guojun Lu, “Chain Code-based Shape Representation and Similarity Measure”, in Visual Information Science, Lecture Notes in Computer Sceience 1306, ed. Clement Leung, Spinger-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, Germany, pp. 135–150, 1997.Google Scholar
- 9.Kent K. T. Cheung and Horace H. S. Ip, “Image Retrieval in Digital Library Based on Symmetry Detection”, Proc. Computer Graphics International 1998, 22–26 Jun. 1998, Hannover, Germany, pp. 366–372.Google Scholar
- 11.B. Huet and E. R. Hancock, “Line Pattern Retrieval Using Relational Histograms”, IEEE Trans. on PAMI, 21(12), 1363–1370(1999).Google Scholar
- 12.B. S. Manjunath and W. Y. Ma, “Texture Features for Browsing and Retrieval of Image Data”, IEEE Trans. on PAMI, 18(8), 837–842(1996).Google Scholar
- 14.Shi-Kuo Chang, Qing Yun Shi and Cheng Wen Yan, “Iconic Indexing by 2-D Strings”, IEEE Trans. on PAMI 9(3), 413–428 (1987).Google Scholar
- 15.S. K. Chang, C. W. Yan, Donald C. Dimitroff and Timothy Arndt, “An Intelligent Image Database System”, IEEE Trans. on PAMI 14(5), 681–688 (1988).Google Scholar
- 19.M. Flickner, H. Sawhney, W. Niblack, J. Ashley, Q. Huang, B. Dom, M. Gorkani, J. Hafner, D. Lee, D. Petkovic, D. Steele and P. Yanker, “Query by Image and Video Content: The QBIC System”, IEEE Computer, 23–32 (1995).Google Scholar
- 22.Lilian H. Tang, Rudolf Hanka and Horace H. S. Ip, “A System Architecture for Integrating Semantic and Iconic Content for Intelligent Browsing of Medical Images”, Proc. of SPIE: Medical Imaging 1998, SPIE vol. 3339, Feb 1998, San Diego, USA, pp. 572–580.Google Scholar
- 23.L H Y Tang, Rudolf Hanka, R Lam, Horace H S Ip, “Automatic Semantic Labelling of Medical Images for Content-Based Retrieval”, Proc. of Expertsys’98, USA, 77–82(1998).Google Scholar
- 24.Kent K. T. Cheung, Horace H. S. Ip, Ringo W. K. Lam, R. Hanka, Lilian H. Y. Tang and G. Fuller, ”An Object-oriented Framework for Content-based Image Retrieval Using a 5-tier Architecture“, Proc. Asia Pacific Software Engineering Conference 99, 7-10 Dec. 1999, Takamatsu, Japan, pp 174–177.Google Scholar
- 25.Ringo. W. K. Lam, Kent K. T. Cheung, Horace H. S. Ip, Lilian H. Y. Tang and R. Hanka, “A Content-based Retrieval System for Histological Images”, accepted for Visual’ 2000,Lyon, France, Nov. 2000.Google Scholar
- 26.Lilian H Y Tang, Rudolf Hanka, Horace H S Ip, Kent K T Cheung, Ringo Lam, “Semantic Query Processing and Annotation Generation for Content-based Retrieval of Histological Images”, to appear at Proceedings of SPIE Medical Imaging’ 2000, San Diego, USA, February 2000.Google Scholar
- 27.M. Fowler, “Analysis Patterns: Reusable Object Models”, Addison Wesley, Reading, MA (1997).Google Scholar
- 28.M. Fowler and K. Scott, ”UML Distilled”, Addison Wesley, Reading, MA (1997).Google Scholar
- 29.Konstantin LÄufer, “A Framework for Higher-Order Functions in C++”, Proc. Conf. on Object-Oriented Technologies (COOTS), Monterey, CA, June 1995.Google Scholar
- 30.A. Wetzel and M. J. Becich, “Content Based Image Retrieval and pathology Image Classification Image Processing”, http://www.psc.edu/research/abstracts/becich.html, 1998.