An Iconic and Semantic Content Based Retrieval System for Histological Images
This paper describes an intelligent image retrieval system based on iconic and semantic content of histological images. The system first divides an image into a set of subimages. Then the iconic features are derived from primitive features of color histogram, texture and second order statistics of the subimages. These features are then passed to a high level semantic reasoning engine, which generates hypotheses and requests a number of specific fine feature detectors for verification. After iterating a certain number of cycles, a final histological label map is decided for the submitted image. The system may then retrieve images based on either iconic or semantic content. Annotation is also generated for each image processed.
KeywordsImage Retrieval Query Image Color Histogram Histological Image CBIR System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T. Y. Hou, P. Liu, A. Hsu and M. Y. Chiu, “Medical Image Retrieval by Spatial Features”, IEEE Inter. Conf. Systems, Man and Cybernetics, vol.2, pp.1364–1369, 1992.Google Scholar
- C. R. Shyu, C. E. Brodley, A. C. Kak, A. Kosaka, A. Aisen and L. Broderick, “Local versus Global Features for Content-Based Image Retrieval”, Proc. of IEEE Workshop Content Based Access of Image and Video Libraries, pp. 30–34, 1998.Google Scholar
- L. H. Y. Tang, R. Hanka, R. Lam, H. H. S. Ip, “Automatic Semantic Labelling of Medical Images for Content-Based Retrieval”, Proceedings of Expersys’98, pp. 77–82, USA, 1998.Google Scholar
- L. H. Y. Tang, R. Hanka, H. H. S. Ip, “A Review of Intelligent Content-Based Indexing and Browsing of Medical Images”, Health Informatics Journal, vol. 5, no.1, pp. 40–49, March 1999.Google Scholar
- K. K. T. Chueng, R. W. K. Lam, H. H. S. Ip, L. H. Y. Tang and R. Hanka, “Software Framework for Combining Iconic and Semantic Content for Intelligent Retrieval of Histological Images”, published in Visual’2000.Google Scholar
- R. W. K. Lam, H. H. S. Ip, K. K. T. Cheung, L. H. Y. Tang and R. Hanka, “A Multi-Window Approach To Classify Histological Features”, published in ICPR’2000.Google Scholar
- A. Wetzel and M. J. Becich, “Content Based Image Retrieval and pathology Image Classification Image Processing,” http://www.psc.edu/research/abstracts/becich.html, 1998.