Integrated Browsing and Searching of Large Image Collections
Current image retrieval systems offer either an exploratory search method through browsing and navigation or a direct search method based on specific queries. Combining both of these methods in a uniform framework allows users to formulate queries more naturally, since they are already acquainted with the contents of the database and with the notion of matching the machine would use to return results. We propose a multimodes and integrated image retrieval system that offers the user quick and effective previewing of the collection, intuitive and natural navigating to any parts of it, and query by example or composition for more specific and clearer retrieval goals.
KeywordsDirect Search Image Retrieval Relevance Feedback Image Retrieval System Direct Search Method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. Chen, C.A. Bouman, and J.C. Dalton. Similarity pyramids for browsing and organization of large image databases. In Proc. of SPIE/IS&T Conf. on Human Vision and Electronic Imaging III, volume 3299, pages 563–575, 1998.Google Scholar
- M. Do, S. Ayer, and M. Vetterli. Invariant image retrieval using wavelet maxima moment. In Proc. of 3rd Int. Conf. in Visual Information and Information Systems, pages 451–458, 1999.Google Scholar
- A. K. Jain and R. C. Dubes. Algorithms for Clustering Data. Prentice-Hall, 1988.Google Scholar
- J. Laaksonen, M. Koskela, and E. Oja. Content-based image retrieval using selforganizing maps. In Proc. of 3rd Int. Conf. in Visual Information and Information Systems, pages 541–548, 1999.Google Scholar
- J. Mao and A. K. Jain. Artificial neural networks for feature extraction and multivariate data projection. IEEE Trans. on Neural Networks, 6:296–317, March 1995.Google Scholar
- Y. Musha, Y. Mori, A. Hiroike, and A. Sugimoto. An interface for visualizing feature space in image retrieval. In Machine Vision and Applications, pages 447–450, 1998.Google Scholar
- J. R. Smith and S.-F. Chang. Transform features for texture classification and discrimination in large image databases. In Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Image Processing, 1994.Google Scholar
- M. Stricker and M. Orengo. Similarity of color images. In Storage and Retrieval for Image and Video Databases III, volume 2420 of SPIE, pages 381–392, 1995.Google Scholar
- M. Swain and D. Ballard. Color indexing. Int. Journal of Computer Vision, vol. 7(1), 1991.Google Scholar