Multimedia Content Filtering, Browsing, and Matching Using MPEG-7 Compact Color Descriptors
This paper presents two compact color feature descriptors that have been accepted to the working draft of MPEG-7, the ongoing activity to standardize multimedia content descriptions. The need for content description arises from the increase in the number of broadcast channels and the availability of a large number of video content over the Internet. Without such descriptions, the average consumer would be left helpless with enormous amount of data and no viable tool to efficiently access the content. MPEG-7 is standardizing descriptions for audio-visual features such as color, shape, and texture, and as well as the higher level semantic features. Here we present two color descriptors that are very compact in size, namely, the compact color histogram descriptor and the compact color layout descriptor. These two descriptors capture complementary characteristics of the color content of images. The compact sizes of these descriptors result in minimal storage and transmission requirements of the image representation. We demonstrate the efficacy of these descriptors for video content filtering, image matching, sketch-based matching and browsing applications.
KeywordsMultimedia Content Color Histogram Video Segment Dominant Color Ground Truth Image
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W. Niblack, et.al., “The QBIC Project: querying images by content using color, texture, and shape”, In Storage and Retrieval for Image and Video Databases I, Vol. 1908, SPIE Proceedings, Feb. 1993.Google Scholar
- 2.N. Dimitrova, H. Elenbaas and T. McGee, “PNRS-Personal News Retrieval System”, In SPIE Conference on Multimedia Storage and Archiving Systems, SPIE Proceedings, Sept. 1999.Google Scholar
- 3.F. Idris, “Review of Image and Video Indexing Techniques”, Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation, Vol. 8, No.2, June, pp.146–166 (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.A. Yamada et.al., “Visual Program Navigation System based on Spatial Distribution of Color”, International Conference on Consumer Electronics 2000.Google Scholar
- 7.S. Krishnamachari and M. Abdel-Mottaleb, “Compact Color Descriptor for Fast Image and Video Segment Retrieval”, Proc. of IS&T/SPIE Conference on Storage and Retrieval of Media Databases 2000, January 2000Google Scholar
- 8.J-Y. Chen, C.A. Bouman and J. Dalton, “Active Browsing using Similarity Pyramids”, In Storage and Retrieval for Image and Video Databases VII, Vol. 3656, SPIE Proceedings, Jan 1998.Google Scholar
- 9.S. Krishnamachari and M. Abdel-Mottaleb, “Image Browsing using Hierarchical Clustering”, In Proc. of the IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications, ISCC 99, Egypt, July 1999.Google Scholar