Segmented Iterators and Hierarchical Algorithms
Many data structures are naturally segmented. Generic algorithms that ignore that feature, and that treat every data structure as a uniform range of elements, are unnecessarily inefficient. A new kind of iterator abstraction, in which segmentation is explicit, makes it possible to write hierarchical algorithms that exploit segmentation.
KeywordsStandard Template Library multidimensional data structures iterators
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. A. Stepanov and M. Lee, “The Standard Template Library.” Hewlett-Packard technical report HPL-95-11(R.1), 1995.Google Scholar
- 2.D. R. Musser and A. Saini, STL Tutorial and Reference Guide: C++ Programming with the Standard Template Library. Addison-Wesley, 1996.Google Scholar
- 3.M. H. Austern, Generic Programming and the STL: Using and Extending the C++ Standard Template Library. Addison-Wesley, 1998.Google Scholar
- 4.B. Stroustrup, The C++ Programming Language, Third Edition. Addison-Wesley, 1997.Google Scholar
- 5.International Organization for Standardization (ISO), 1 rue de Varembé, Case postale 56, CH-1211 Genève 20, Switzerland, ISO/IEC Final Draft International Standard 14882: Programming Language C++, 1998.Google Scholar
- 6.J. Barreiro, R. Fraley, and D. R. Musser, “Hash tables for the Standard Template Library.” Technical Report X3J16/94-0218 and WG21/N0605, International Organization for Standardization, February 1995.Google Scholar