Towards a Proposal for a Standard Component-Based Open Hypermedia System Storage Interface
This paper takes a first step towards defining a standard component-based open hypermedia system storage interface in the context of the Open Hypermedia System Working Group. The paper presents a proposal for the core set of services of such an interface. The existence of such an interface is one of the basic preconditions for interoperability at the middleware level in hypermedia systems. The proposed interface has been implemented both as a stand-alone hypermedia storage service and as a basic service in the Construct development environment. Both implementations are in Java and are based on underlying file system services.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hugh C. Davis, David E. Millard, Siegfried Reich, Niels Olof Bouvin, Kaj Grønbæk, Peter J. Nürnberg, Lennert Sloth, Uffe Kock Wiil, and Kenneth M. Anderson. Interoperability between hypermedia systems: The standardisation work of the OHSWG (technical briefing). In Proceedings of the’ 99 ACM Conference on Hypertext, February 21–25, 1999, Darmstadt, Germany, pages 201–202, February 1999.Google Scholar
- 2.Hugh Charles Davis, editor. 2.5 Open Hypermedia Systems Working Group Meeting, Southampton, UK, December 1996. http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/hcd/.
- 3.Kaj Grønbæk and Randall H. Trigg. Design issues for a Dexter-based hypermedia system. Communications of the ACM, 37(3):40–49, February 1994.Google Scholar
- 4.Peter J. Nürnberg, John J. Leggett, Erich R. Schneider, and John L. Schnase. Hypermedia operating systems: A new paradigm for computing. In Proceedings of the’ 96 ACM Conference on Hypertext, March 16–20, 1996, Washington, D.C. pages 194–202, 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.OHSWG. Technical report, The web site for the Open Hypermedia Systems Working Group (OHSWG), Available as http://www.ohswg.org/2000.
- 6.Siegfried Reich, editor. 4.5 Open Hypermedia Systems Working Group, Southampton, UK, September 1998. http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/sre/ohs/ohs45/.
- 7.Siegfried Reich, Uffe K. Wiil, Peter J. Nürnberg, Hugh C. Davis, Kaj Grønbæk, Kenneth M. Anderson, David E. Millard, and Jörg M. Haake. Addressing interoperability in open hypermedia: The design of the open hypermedia protocol. New Review of Hypermedia and Multimedia, 5:207–248, 1999.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Uffe Kock Wiil, editor. 3.5 Open Hypermedia Systems Working Group Meeting, Aarhus, Denmark, September 1997. http://www.aue.auc.dk/kock/OHS3.5/.
- 9.Uffe Kock Wiil. Open hypermedia: Systems, interoperability and standards. Journal of Digital Information (JoDI). Special Issue on Open Hypermedia, 1(2), 1997.Google Scholar
- 10.Uffe Kock Wiil, editor. Proceedings of the 3rd Workshop on Open Hypermedia Systems, Hypertext’ 97, Southampton, England, April 6–11, 1997. Scientific Report 97-01, The Danish Centre for IT Research.Google Scholar
- 11.Uffe Kock Wiil, editor. Proceedings of the 4th Workshop on Open Hypermedia Systems, Hypertext’ 98, Pittsburgh, PA, June 20–24, June 1998. Technical Report CS-98-01, Aalborg University Esbjerg.Google Scholar
- 12.Uffe Kock Wiil, editor. Proceedings of the 5.5 Open Hypermedia Systems Working Group Meeting, Esbjerg, Denmark, September 1999. http://www.aue.auc.dk/kock/OHS5.5/.
- 13.Uffe Kock Wiil, editor. Proceedings of the 5th Workshop on Open Hypermedia Systems, Hypertext’ 99, Darmstadt, Germany, February 21–25, February 1999. Technical Report CS-99-01, Aalborg University Esbjerg.Google Scholar
- 14.Uffe Kock Wiil. Using the construct development environment to generate a file-based hypermedia storage service. In Post Workshop Proceedings of the 6th Workshop on Open Hypermedia Systems (OHS6) and the 2nd Structural Computing (SC2) held in conjunction with ACM Hypertext 2000, San Antonio, TX, Berlin/Heidelberg/New York, May 2000. Springer.Google Scholar
- 15.Uffe Kock Wiil and Serge Demeyer, editors. Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on Open Hypermedia Systems, ACM Hypertext’ 96, Washington, D.C., March 16–20. Available as Report No. ICS-TR-96-10 from the Dept. of Information and Computer Science, University of California, Irvine, March 1996. UCI-ICS Technical Report 96-10, Department of Information and Computer Science, University of California, Irvine.Google Scholar
- 17.Uffe Kock Wiil and John J. Leggett. Workspaces: the HyperDisco approach to Internet distribution. In Proceedings of the’ 97 ACM Conference on Hypertext, April 6–11, 1997, Southampton, UK, pages 13–23, 1997.Google Scholar
- 18.Uffe Kock Wiil and Peter J. Nürnberg. Evolving hypermedia middleware services: Lessons and observations. In Proceedings of the 1999 ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC’ 99), San Antonio, TX, pages 427–436, February 1999.Google Scholar
- 19.Uffe Kock Wiil, Peter J. Nürnberg, David Hicks, and Siegfried Reich. A development environment for building component-based open hypermedia systems. In Proceedings of the’ 00 ACM Conference on Hypertext, May 30–June 3, San Antonio, TX, pages 266–267, May 2000.Google Scholar
- 20.Uffe Kock Wiil and Kaspar Østerbye, editors. Proceedings of the ECHT’ 94 Workshop on Open Hypermedia Systems, September 1994. Tech. Report R-94-2038, Dept. of Computer Science, Aalborg Univ.Google Scholar