Knowledge Representation, Ontologies, and the Semantic Web
- 485 Downloads
A unified representation for web data and web resources, is absolutely necessary in nowdays large scale Internet data management systems. This representation will allow for the machines to meaningfully process the available information and provide semantically correct answers to imposed queries. Ontologies are expected to play an important role towards this direction of web technology which defines the so called, Semantic Web. The goal of this paper is to provide an overview of the Knowledge Representation (KR) techniques and languages that can be used as standards in the Semantic Web.
KeywordsKnowledge Representation Resource Description Framework Description Logic Ontological Commitment Ontology Language
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. Berners-Lee: “Weaving the Web”. Harper, San Francisco 1999.Google Scholar
- 2.T. Bray, J. Paoli and C. Sperberg-McQueen: “Extensible Markup Language (XML)”. W3C (World Wide Web Consortium), February 1998. Available at http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-xml-19980210.html.
- 3.V.K. Chaudhri, A. Farquhar, R. Fikes, P.D. Karp, J.P. Rice: “Open Knowldege Base Connectivity 2.0.2”. http://WWW-KSL-SVC.stanford.edu:5915/doc/release/okbc/okbc-spec/okbc-2-0-2.pdf, 1998.
- 4.S. Decker, D. Fensel, F. Harmelen, I. Horrocks, S. Melnik, M. Klein and J. Broekstra: “Knowledge Representation on the Web”. In Proceedings of the 2000 International Workshop on Description Logics (DL2000). Aachen, Germany, August 2000.Google Scholar
- 5.S. Decker et al: “The Semantic Web — on the respective Roles of XML and RDF.Google Scholar
- 6.D. Fensel et al.: “OIL in a nutshell”. In Knowledge Acquisition, Modeling, and Management, Proceedings of the European Knowledge Acquisition Conference (EKAW-2000), R. Dieng et al. (eds.), Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, LNAI, Springer-Verlag, October 2000.Google Scholar
- 8.J. Heflin, J. Hendler and S. Luke: “SHOE: A Knowledge Representation Language for Internet Applications”. Technical Report CS-TR-4078 (UMIACS TR-99-71). 1999.Google Scholar
- 9.J. Heflin: “Towards the Semantic Web: Knowledge Representation in a Dynamic, Distributed Environment”. PhD Thesis, University of Maryland, Computer Sciences Dept. 2001.Google Scholar
- 11.N. Guarino: “Formal Ontology and Information Systems”. In Proceedings of Formal Ontology and Information Systems, Trento, Italy, June 1998. IOS Press.Google Scholar
- 12.Joint US/EU Ad Hoc Agent Markup Language Committee. DAML+OIL, 2001.Google Scholar
- 13.“Resource Description Framework (RDF) Schema Specification 1.0”, W3C Recommendation, March 2001. Available at http://www.w3.org/RDF/
- 14.eXtensible MArkup Language (XML) 1.0, Available at: http://www.w3.org/XML/