Functional Dependencies for XML
- 465 Downloads
In this paper we address the problem of how to extend the definition of functional dependencies (FDs) in incomplete relations to XML documents. An incomplete relation is said to strongly satisfy a FD if every completion of the relation, obtained by replacing all null values by data values, satisfies the FD in the ordinary sense. We propose a syntactic definition of strong FD satisfaction in a XML document (called a XFD) and then justify it by proving that for a very general class of mappings of a relation into a XML document, a relation strongly satisfies a unary FD if and only if the XML document also strongly satisfies the equivalent XFD.
KeywordsFunctional Dependency Integrity Constraint Minimal Extension High Order Attribute Nest Operator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Abiteboul, P. Buneman, and D. Suciu. Data on the Web. Morgan Kauffman, 2000.Google Scholar
- 2.M. Arenas, W. Fan, and L. Libkin. On verifying consistency of xml specifications. In Proc. ACM PODS Conference, pages 259–270, 2002.Google Scholar
- 3.M. Arenas and L. Libkin. A normal form for xml documents. In Proc. ACM PODS Conference, pages 85–96, 2002.Google Scholar
- 4.P. Atzeni and V. DeAntonellis. Foundations of databases. Benjamin Cummings, 1993.Google Scholar
- 5.P. Buneman, S. Davidson, W. Fan, and C. Hara. Reasoning about keys for xml. In International Workshop on Database Programming Languages, 2001.Google Scholar
- 7.P. Buneman, W. Fan, and S. Weinstein. Interaction between type and path constraints. In Proc. ACM PODS Conference, pages 129–138, 1999.Google Scholar
- 9.W. Fan and J. Simeon. Integrity constraints for xml. In Proc. ACM PODS Conference, pages 23–34, 2000.Google Scholar
- 11.S.J. Thomas and P.C. Fischer. Nested relational structures. In P. Kanellakis, editor, The theory of databases, pages 269–307. JAI Press, 1986.Google Scholar
- 12.M.W. Vincent and J. Liu. Strong functional dependencies and a redundancy free normal form for xml. Submitted for publication, 2002.Google Scholar
- 13.J. Widom. Data management for xml — research directions. IEEE data Engineering Bulletin, 22(3):44–52, 1999.Google Scholar