MusicBlox: A Real-Time Algorithmic Composition System Incorporating a Distributed Interactive Genetic Algorithm
This paper discusses the motivation, design and construction of a generative music system, ‘MusicBlox’, (by the author) that utilises a domain specific, knowledge rich Genetic Algorithm (GA). The paper begins by describing the functionality and musical aims of the project, and goes on to detail the implementation of a GA as part of the project’s compositional sub-system, including a discussion of the suitability of using a GA for compositional tasks. The paper concludes that the developed GA is able to produce musically successful results, but that significant additional work still needs to be undertaken before it achieves all the aims outlined.
KeywordsComposition System Genetic Algorithm Model Musical Style Musical Object Interactive Genetic Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Boden, M. Computer Models of Creativity, in Handbook of Creativity, ed. Sternberg, R. J. Cambridge University Press (1999). ISBN 0-521-57604-0.Google Scholar
- 2.Cope, D. Computers and Musical Style (1991). ISBN 0-89579-256-7.Google Scholar
- 3.Hiller, L, & Issacson, L. Musical Composition with a High-Speed Digital Computer, Journal of the Audio Engineering Society (1958).Google Scholar
- 4.Miranda, E, R. On the Origins and Evolution of Music in Virtual Worlds, in Creative Evolutionary Systems, ed. Bentley, P, Corne, D, Academic Press (2002).Google Scholar
- 7.Biles, John. A. GenJam: A Genetic Algorithm for Generating Jazz Solos. Proceedings of the International Computer Music Conference 94 (1994).Google Scholar
- 8.Biles, John. A. GenJam in Transition: from Genetic Jammer to Generative Jammer. Proceeding of Generative Art 2002, Milan 11–13 December (2002).Google Scholar
- 9.Wiggins, G. Papadopoulos, G. Phon-Amnuaisuk, S, Tuson, A. Evolutionary Methods for Musical Composition. Proceedings of the CASYS98 Workshop on Anticipation, Music & Cognition, Liège(1998).Google Scholar
- 10.Horner, A. and Goldberg, D. E. Genetic algorithms and computer-assisted music composition. Technical report, University of Illinois (1991).Google Scholar
- 11.Ralley, D. Genetic Algorithms as a Tool for Melodic Development. Proceedings of the International Computer Music Conference 95 (1995).Google Scholar