Applying Memetic Algorithms to the Analysis of Microarray Data
This work deals with the application of Memetic Algorithms to the Microarray Gene Ordering problem, a NP-hard problem with strong implications in Medicine and Biology. It consists in ordering a set of genes, grouping together the ones with similar behavior. We propose a MA, and evaluate the influence of several features, such as the intensity of local searches and the utilization of multiple populations, in the performance of the MA. We also analyze the impact of different objective functions on the general aspect of the solutions. The instances used for experimentation are extracted from the literature and represent real biological systems.
KeywordsLocal Search Microarray Data Window Size Memetic Algorithm Island Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.A. Arnone and B. Davidson. The hardwiring of development: Organization and function of genomic regulatory systems. Development, 124:1851–1864, 1997.Google Scholar
- 8.M.B. Eisen, P.T. Spellman, P.O. Brown, and D. Botstein. Cluster analysis and display of genome-wide expression patterns. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA, 95:14863–14868, 1998.Google Scholar
- 9.D. Fasulo. An analysis of recent work on clustering algorithms. Technical Report UW-CSEO1-03-02, University of Washington, 1999.Google Scholar
- 14.A.S. Mendes, P.M. França, and P. Moscato. NP-Opt: An optimization framework for NP problems. In Proceedings of POM2001-International Conference of the Production and Operations Management Society, pages 82–89, 2001.Google Scholar
- 16.P. Moscato and C. Cotta. A gentle introduction to memetic algorithms. In F. Glover and G. Kochenberger, editors, Handbook of Metaheuristics. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, 2002.Google Scholar
- 17.R. Tanese. Distributed genetic algorithms. In J.D. Schaffer, editor, Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Genetic Algorithms, pages 434–439, San Mateo, CA, 1989. Morgan Kaufmann.Google Scholar
- 18.H.-K. Tsai, J.-M. Yang, and C.-Y. Kao. Applying genetic algorithms to finding the optimal gene order in displaying the microarray data. In W.B. Langdon et al., editors, Proceedings og the 2002 Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference. Morgan Kaufmann, 2002.Google Scholar