New Ideas for Applying Ant Colony Optimization to the Probabilistic TSP
The Probabilistic Traveling Salesperson Problem (PTSP) is a stochastic variant of the Traveling Salesperson Problem (TSP); each customer has to be serviced only with a given probability. The goal is to find an a priori tour with shortest expected tour-length, with the customers being served in the specified order and customers not requiring service being skipped. In this paper, we use the Ant Colony Optimization (ACO) metaheuristic to construct solutions for PTSP. We propose two new heuristic guidance schemes for this problem, and examine the idea of using approximations to calculate the expected tour length. This allows to find better solutions or use less time than the standard ACO approach.
KeywordsSolution Quality Full Evaluation Approximation Depth Heuristic Information Evaluation Depth
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.A. Jezequel. Probabilistic vehicle routing problems. Master’s thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, 1985.Google Scholar
- 3.F. Rossi and I. Gavioli. Aspects of heuristic methods in the probabilistic traveling salesman problem. Andreatta, G., F. Mason, and P. Serani (eds.), Advanced School on Stochastics in Combinatorial Optimization, World Scientic, Singapore, pp. 214–227, 1987.Google Scholar
- 6.L. Bianchi, L. M. Gambardella, and M. Dorigo. An ant colony optimization approach to the probabilistic traveling salesman problem. In J. J. Merelo Guervos et al., editor, Parallel Problem Solving from Nature, volume 2439 of LNCS, pages 883–892. Springer, 2002.Google Scholar
- 8.M. Dorigo. Optimization, Learning and Natural Algorithms (in Italian). PhD thesis, Dipartimento di Elettronica, Politecnico di Milano, Italy, 1992. pp. 140.Google Scholar
- 9.A. Colorni M. Dorigo, V. Maniezzo. The ant system: Optimization by a colony of cooperating agents. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, B(26):29–41, 1996.Google Scholar
- 10.M. Dorigo and G. Di Caro. The ant colony optimization meta-heuristic. In D. Corne, M. Dorigo, and F. Glover, editors, New Ideas in Optimization, pages11–32. McGraw-Hill, 1999.Google Scholar
- 11.P. Jaillet. Probabilistic traveling salesman problems. PhD thesis, MIT, Cambridge, MA, 1985.Google Scholar