Micro Protocol Design: The SNMP Case Study1
- 200 Downloads
Today, reuse in software engineering is usually supported by component libraries, such as Java packages. Components are self-contained, ready-to-use building blocks, which are selected and composed. They are usually associated with the implementation phase, a result of practical experience rather than of existing limitations. In this paper, we shed some new light on the concept of components from the protocol engineering point of view. In particular, we describe a conceptual framework for the protocol design phase, and introduce a specific type of protocol design components called micro protocols. We then instantiate and apply this framework to a subset of SNMP, the Simple Network Management Protocol, using SDL as design language.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. Geppert, R. Gotzhein, F. Rößler: Configuring Communication Protocols Using SDL Patterns, in: A. Cavalli, A. Sarma (eds.), SDL’97-Time for Testing, Proceedings of the 8th SDL Forum, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1997, pp. 523–538Google Scholar
- 2.R. Gotzhein, P. Schaible: Pattern-Based Development of Communication Systems, in: Annals of Telecommunications, Special Issue on Protocol Engineering, Vol. 54, No. 11–12, 1999, pp. 508–525Google Scholar
- 3.R. Gotzhein, F. Khendek: Conception avec Micro-Protocoles, Colloque Francophone sur l’Ingenierie des Protocoles (CFIP’2002), Montreal, Canada, May 27–30, 2002Google Scholar
- 4.ITU-T Recommendation Z.100 (11/99): Specification and Description Language (SDL), International Telecommunication Union (ITU), 1999Google Scholar
- 5.R. E. Johnson: Frameworks = (Components + Patterns), in: Object-Oriented Application Frameworks (Special Issue), Communications of the ACM, Vol. 40, No. 10, 1997, pp. 39–42Google Scholar
- 6.T. Plagemann, B. Plattner, M. Vogt, T. Walter: Modules as Building Blocks for Protocol Configuration, Proceedings of the International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP’93), San Francisco, 1993Google Scholar
- 7.F. Rößler, B. Geppert, R. Gotzhein: Collaboration-based Design of SDL Systems, Proceedings of the 10th SDL FORUM, June 2001Google Scholar
- 9.J. Case, M. Fedor, M. Schoffstall, J. Davin: A Simple Network Management Protocol, RFC 1157, May 1990Google Scholar
- 10.W. Stallings: SNMP, SNMPv2, SNMPv3, and RMON 1 and 2, Addison Wesley, Third Edition, 1999Google Scholar
- 11.C. Szyperski: Components and architecture, Beyond Objects column, Software Development. Vol. 8, No. 10, October 2000Google Scholar