Efficient Structure Oriented Storage of XML Documents Using ORDBMS
In this paper we will present different storage approaches for XML documents, the document centered, the data and the structure centered approach. We will then focus on the structure centered approach and will introduce an abstract view on XML documents using tree graphs. To make these tree graphs persistent different storage techniques are mentioned and evaluated concerning the creation and retrieval of complete documents. Measurement results are shown and shortly discussed for creation and retrieval of different (complete) XML documents. Moreover we will shortly introduce the partial mapping extension, which helps to optimize the generic structure based storage approach for specific documents whose structure is known in advance.
The results presented come from the ongoing implementation of a high performance generic document server with an analytic decision support agent.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T. Shimura, M. Yoshikawa, S. Uemura, Storage and Retrieval of XML Documents Using Object-Relational Databases. 134Google Scholar
- J. Shanmugasundaram, K. Tufte, G. He, C. Zhang, D. DeWitt, J. Naughton. Relational databases for querying XML documents: Limitations and opportunities, VDLB Conference, Edinburgh, Scotland, 1999. 132, 133Google Scholar
- P. Zezula, Fausto Rabitti, Object Store with navigation acceleration, Oktober 1992. 137Google Scholar
- D. Florescu, D. Kossmann, A performance evaluation of alternative mapping schemes for storing XML data in a relational database, Technical report, INRIA, Rocquencourt, Mai 1999. 132, 133Google Scholar
- A. Schmidt, M. Kersten, M. Windhouwer, F. Waas, Efficient Relational Storage and Retrieval of XML Documents, http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/-schmidt00e.cient.html. 132, 133
- Online documentation, Informix Dynamic Server 2000, http://www.informix.com/answers/english/pids92.htm. 139
- Online documentation, DataBlade Modules and DataBlade Developer’s Kit, http://www.informix.com/answers/english/pdbm.htm. 139
- IBM DB2 XML Extender, An end-to-end solution for storing and retrieving XML documents, http://www-4.ibm.com/software/data/db2/extenders/xmlext/xmlextbroch.pdf. 133
- R. Bourret, XML and Databases, September, 1999, http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/XMLAndDatabases.htm. 132
- D.D. Kha, M. Yoshikawa, S. Uemura, An XML Indexing Structure with Relative Region Coordinate, http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/391959.html. 132