Multi-agent and Software Architectures: A Comparative Case Study
- 413 Downloads
We propose a collection of architectural styles for multi-agent systems motivated by organizational theory and enterprise organization structures. One of the styles is discussed in detail and part of it is formalized using the Formal Tropos specification language. In addition, we conduct a comparative study of organizational and conventional software architectures using a mobile robot control example from the Software Engineering literature.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Castro, J., Kolp, M., and Mylopoulos, J. “A Requirements-Driven Development Methodology”. In Proc. of the 13th Int. Conf. on Advanced Information Systems Engineering, CAiSE’01, Interlaken, Switzerland, June 2001.Google Scholar
- 2.Chung, L. K., Nixon, B. A., Yu, E. and Mylopoulos, J. Non-Functional Requirements in Software Engineering, Kluwer Publishing, 2000.Google Scholar
- 4.Fuxman, A., Pistore M., Mylopoulos, J., and Traverso, P. “Model Checking Early Requirements Specification in Tropos”. In Proc. of the 5th Int. Symposium on Requirements Engineering, RE’01, Toronto, Canada, Aug. 2001.Google Scholar
- 5.Kolp, M., Giorgini P., and Mylopoulos J. “An Organizational Perspective on Multi-agent Architectures”. In Proc. of the Eighth International Workshop on Agent Theories, architectures, and languages, ATAL’01, Seattle, USA, August 1–3, 2001.Google Scholar
- 6.Lozano-Perez, T., Preface to Autonomous Robot Vehicles. Cox, L.J. and Wilfong G.T., eds, Springer Verlag, 1990.Google Scholar
- 7.Mintzberg, H. Structure in Fives: Designing Effective Organizations, Prentice-Hall, 1992.Google Scholar
- 8.Perini. A, Bresciani, P., Giunchiglia, F., Giorgini, P., Mylopoulos, J., A Knowledge Level Software Engineering Methodology for Agent Oriented Programming. In Proc. Of the 5th International Conference on Autonomous Agents, Montreal CA, May 2001, ACM.Google Scholar
- 9.Scott, W. R. Organizations: Rational, Natural, and Open Systems, Prentice Hall, 1998.Google Scholar
- 10.Shaw, M., and Garlan, D. Software Architecture: Perspectives on an Emerging Discipline, Upper Saddle River, N.J., Prentice Hall, 1996.Google Scholar
- 11.Simmons, R., Goodwin, R., Haigh, K., Koenig, S., and O’sullivan, J. “A modular architecture for office delivery robots”. In Proc. of the 1st Int. Conf. on Autonomous Agents, Agents’ 97, Marina del Rey. CA, Feb 1997, pp.245–252.Google Scholar
- 12.Yu E. Modelling Strategic Relationships for Process Reengineering, Ph.D. thesis, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada, 1995.Google Scholar