The Kachanov Method for a Rigid-Plastic Rolling Problem
In this work, the method of successive linearization, proposed by L. M. Kachanov for solving nonlinear variational problems, arizing in the deformation theory of plasticity, is applied to a steady state, hot strip rolling problem. The material behaviour is described by a rigid-plastic, incompressible, strain rate dependent material model and for the roll-workpiece interface a constant friction law is used. The problem is stated in the form of a variational inequality with strongly nonlinear and nondifferentiable terms. The equivalent minimization problem is also given. Under certain restrictions on the material characteristics, existence and uniqueness results are obtained and the convergence of the method is proved.
KeywordsVariational Inequality Deformation Theory Strain Rate Tensor Dilatation Strain Successive Linearization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Washizu, K.: Variational Methods in Elasticity and Plasticity. Pergamon Press (1982)Google Scholar
- 2.Zienkiewicz, O.C.: Flow formulation for numerical solution of forming processes. In: Pittman, J.F.T., Zienkiewicz, O.C., Wood, R.D., Alexander, J.M. (eds.): Numerical Analysis of Forming Processes. John Wiley & Sons (1984) 1–44.Google Scholar
- 4.Cristescu, N., Suliciu, I.: Viscoplasticity. Martinus Nijhoff Publ., Bucharest (1982)Google Scholar
- 5.Mosolov, P.P., Myasnikov, V.P.: Mechanics of Rigid-Plastic Media. Nauka, Moscow (1981) (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 11.Kikuchi, N., Oden, J.T.: Contact Problems in Elasticity: A Study of Variational Inequalities and Finite Element Methods. SIAM, Philadephia PA (1988)Google Scholar
- 12.Fučik, S., Kufner, A.: Nonlinear Differential Equations. Elsevier, Amsterdam (1980)Google Scholar
- 13.Mikhlin, S.G.: The Numerical Performance of Variational Methods. Walters-Noordhoff, The Netherlands (1971)Google Scholar
- 14.Nečas, J., Hlavaček, I.: Mathematical Theory of Elastic and Elasto-Plastic Bodies: An Introduction. Elsevier, Amsterdam (1981)Google Scholar