Parallel Importance Separation and Adaptive Monte Carlo Algorithms for Multiple Integrals
Monte Carlo Method (MCM) is the only viable method for many high-dimensional problems since its convergence is independent of the dimension. In this paper we develop an adaptive Monte Carlo method based on the ideas and results of the importance separation, a method that combines the idea of separation of the domain into uniformly small subdomains with the Kahn approach of importance sampling. We analyze the error and compare the results with crude Monte Carlo and importance sampling which is the most widely used variance reduction Monte Carlo method. We also propose efficient parallelizations of the importance separation method and the studied adaptive Monte Carlo method. Numerical tests implemented on PowerPC cluster using MPI are provided.
KeywordsAdaptive Algorithm Importance Sampling Adaptive Method Subdivision Strategy Monte Carlo Variance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bahvalov, N. S.: On the optimal estimations of convergence of the quadrature processes and integration methods. Numerical Methods for Solving Differential and Integral Equations, Nauka, Moscow (1964) 5–63 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 4.Bull, J. M. and Freeman, T. L.: Parallel algorithms for multi-dimensional integration. Parallel and Distributed Computing Practices, 1(1) (1998) 89–102.Google Scholar
- 7.Freeman, T. L. and Bull, J. M.: A comparison of parallel adaptive algorithms for multi-dimensional integration. Proceedings of 8th SIAM Conference on Parallel Processing for Scientificc Computing (1997)Google Scholar
- 11.Owen, A. and Zhou, Y.: Safe and effiective importance sampling. Technical report, Stanford University, Statistics Department (1999)Google Scholar
- 12.Sobol', I. M.: Monte Carlo Numerical Methods. Nauka, Moscow (1973) (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 13.Veach, E. and Guibas, L. J.: Optimally combining sampling techniques for Monte Carlo rendering. Computer Graphics Proceedings, Annual Conference Series, ACM SIGGRAPH’ 95 (1995) 419–428.Google Scholar
- 14.Veach, E.: Robust Monte Carlo Methods for Light Transport Simulation. Ph.D. dissertation, Stanford Universty (1997)Google Scholar