The Reliable Algorithmic Software Challenge RASC Dedicated to Thomas Ottmann on the Occasion of His 60th Birthday
- 442 Downloads
When I was asked to contribute to a volume dedicated to Thomas Ottmann’s sixtieth birthday, I immediately agreed. I have known Thomas for more than 25 years, I like him, and I admire his work and his abilities as a cyclist. Of course, when it came to start writing, I started to have second thoughts.What should I write about? I could have taken one of my recent papers. But that seemed inappropriate; none of them is single authored. It had to be more personal.
KeywordsComputational Geometry Permutation Graph Linear Programming Solver Posteriori Analysis Node Cover
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BEH+02]E. Berberich, A. Eigenwillig, M. Hemmer, S. Hert, K. Mehlhorn, and E. Schömer. A computational basis for conic arcs and boolean operations on conic polygons. to appear in ESA 2002, http://www.mpi-sb.mpg.de/~mehlhorn/ftp/ConicPolygons.ps, 2002.
- [BFM+01]C. Burnikel, S. Funke, K. Mehlhorn, S. Schirra, and S. Schmitt. A separation bound for real algebraic expressions. In ESA 2001, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 254–265, 2001. http://www.mpisb.mpg.de/~mehlhorn/ftp/ImprovedSepBounds.ps.gz.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- [BK89]M. Blum and S. Kannan. Designing programs that check their work. In Proceedings of the 21th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (STOC’89), pages 86–97, 1989.Google Scholar
- [CCPS98]W. J. Cook, W. H. Cunningham, W. R. Pulleyblank, and A. Schrijver. Combinatorial Optimization. John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 1998.Google Scholar
- [DFK+02]M. Dhiflaoui, S. Funke, C. Kwappik, K. Mehlhorn, M. Seel, E. Schömer, R. Schulte, and D. Weber. Certifying and repairing solutions to large LPs, How good are LP-solvers? to appear in SODA 2003, http://www.mpisb.mpg.de/~mehlhorn/ftp/LPExactShort.ps, 2002.
- [KCF+02]J. Keyser, T. Culver, M. Foskey, S. Krishnan, and D. Manocha. ESOLID: A system for exact boundary evaluation. In 7th ACM Symposium on Solid Modelling and Applications, pages 23–34, 2002.Google Scholar
- [KLPY99]V. Karamcheti, C. Li, I. Pechtchanski, and Chee Yap. A core library for robust numeric and geometric computation. In Proceedings of the 15th Annual ACM Symposium on Computational Geometry, pages 351–359, Miami, Florida, 1999.Google Scholar
- [KMMS02]D. Kratsch, R. McConnell, K. Mehlhorn, and J. P. Spinrad. Certifying algorithms for recognizing interval graphs and permutation graphs. SODA 2003 to appear, http://www.mpi-sb.mpg.de/~mehlhorn/ftp/intervalgraph.ps, 2002.
- [LEC67]A. Lempel, S. Even, and I. Cederbaum. An algorithm for planarity testing of graphs. In P. Rosenstiehl, editor, Theory of Graphs, International Symposium, Rome, pages 215–232, 1967.Google Scholar
- [MN99]K. Mehlhorn and S. Näher. The LEDA Platform for Combinatorial and Geometric Computing. Cambridge University Press, 1999. 1018 pages.Google Scholar
- [MNS+96]K. Mehlhorn, S. Näher, T. Schilz, S. Schirra, M. Seel, R. Seidel, and C. Uhrig. Checking geometric programs or verification of geometric structures. In Proceedings of the 12th Annual Symposium on Computational Geometry (SCG’96), pages 159–165, 1996.Google Scholar
- [OTU87]T. Ottmann, G. Thiemt, and C. Ullrich. Numerical stability of geometric algorithms. In Derick Wood, editor, Proceedings of the 3rd Annual Symposium on Computational Geometry (SCG’ 87), pages 119–125, Waterloo, ON, Canada, June 1987. ACM Press.Google Scholar
- [OW96]T. Ottmann and P. Widmayer.Algorithmen und Datenstrukturen. Spektrum Akademischer Verlag, 1996.Google Scholar
- [SM90]G. F. Sullivan and G. M. Masson. Using certification trails to achieve software fault tolerance. In Brian Randell, editor, Proceedings of the 20th Annual International Symposium on Fault-Tolerant Computing (FTCS’ 90), pages 423–433. IEEE, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Yap99]C. K. Yap. Fundamental Problems in Algorithmic Algebra. Oxford University Press, 1999.Google Scholar