Detecting Low Embedding Rates
This paper shows three approaches for detecting steganograms with low change density. MP3Stego is a steganographic algorithm with a very low embedding rate. The attack presented here is a statistical analysis of block sizes. It is able to detect 0.001 % of steganographic payload in MP3 files. The second approach is the use of hash functions to combine sample categories for the chi-square attack. One of these hash functions enables us to detect about 0.2 bits per pixel in true colour images. Another algorithm (Hide) was presented at the last workshop and constructed to be secure against visual and statistical chi-square attacks. The detection method for Hide combines the three colour components of each pixel to recognise an increased number of “neighbour colours”.
KeywordsHash Function Block Length Carrier Medium Rate Control Process Colour Pair
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8Hz Productions: MPEG Audio Layer III Encoder. http://www.8hz.com/mp3 325, 329, 338
- Ross J. Anderson, Fabien A.P. Petitcolas: On the Limits of Steganography. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 16, No. 4, May 1998. 332Google Scholar
- Jessica Fridrich, Miroslav Goljan, Rui Du: Steganalysis Based on JPEG Compatibility, in Multimedia Systems and Applications IV, Andrew G. Tescher, Bhaskaran Vasudev, V. Michael Bove, Jr. (Eds.), Proceedings of SPIE, Multimedia Systems and Applications IV, Denver, CO, 2001. 3Google Scholar
- J. Fridrich, Rui Du, Meng Long: Steganalysis of LSB Encoding in Color Images, in Proc. ICME 2000, New York City, NY, 2000. 335Google Scholar
- Neil F. Johnson, Sushil Jajodia: Steganalysis of Images Created Using Current Steganography Software, in David Aucsmith (Ed.): Information Hiding. Second International Workshop, LNCS 1525, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 1998. pp. 273–289. 324Google Scholar
- Fabien A.P. Petitcolas: MP3Stego 1.1.16, 1998/2002. http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~fapp2/steganography/mp3stego 325, 329, 338
- Niels Provos: Defending Against Statistical Steganalysis, 10th USENIX Security Symposium. Washington, DC, August 2001. 330Google Scholar
- Niels Provos, Peter Honeyman: Detecting Steganographic Content on the Internet, ISOC NDSS’02, San Diego, CA, February 2002. 330Google Scholar
- Greg Roelofs: Zlib Home Site. http://www.zlib.org 325
- Toby Sharp: Hide 2.1. 2001. http://www.sharpthoughts.org 325, 333
- Andreas Westfeld, Andreas Pfitzmann: Attacks on Steganographic Systems, in Andreas Pfitzmann (Ed.): Information Hiding. Third International Workshop, LNCS 1768, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2000. pp. 61–76. 325, 330, 333, 334, 338Google Scholar