Robust Watermarking and Affine Registration of 3D Meshes
We propose a robust non-blind watermarking algorithm based on direct free form deformations and applicable to smooth (organic) meshes. The algorithm does generate “low frequent” smooth deformations. The second main contribution of this paper is a registration method capable of handling affine transformations in cases where meshes do not suffer from cropping. The method is an extension of results from Blake and Marinos  to the 3D dimensional case. We use this method as a preprocessing step of a conventional registration algorithm (capable of handling rigid transformations plus uniform scaling). We are therefore able to automatically retrieve watermarks from copies differing from the original by one global affine transformation and of course additional complex operations, the watermarking method is robust against, such as polygon simplification, subdivision surfaces, uniform- or gaussian distributed noise. We present experiments on robustness of watermarks and performance of the proposed registration technique.
KeywordsFeature Point Affine Transformation Watermark Scheme Polygon Simplification Rigid Transformation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Vranic, D. Saupe and J. Richter, “Tools for 3D-object retrieval: Karhunen-Loeve Transform and spherical harmonics”, IEEE 2001 Workshop Multimedia Signal Processing, Cannes, France, Oct. 2001.Google Scholar
- 4.Praun, H. Hoppe and A. Finkelstein, “Robust Mesh Watermarking”, SIGGRAPH 99 Proceedings, pp. 69–76, 1999.Google Scholar
- 6.R. Ohbuchi, A. Mukaiyama and S. Takahashi. “A Frequency-Domain Approach to Watermarking 3D Shapes”, EUROGRAPHICS 2002 Proceedings, Saarbrücken, September 2-6, 2002.Google Scholar
- 11.W. Press et al., “Numerical Recipes in C-Second Edition”, Cambridge University Press, 1992.Google Scholar
- 12.W. Hsu, J. Hughes and H. Kaufman, “Direct Manipulation of Free-Form Deformations”, SIGGRAPH’92 Proceedings, pp. 177–182, 1992.Google Scholar
- 14.Garland, P. Heckbert. Surface Simplification Using Quadric Error Metrics. SIGGRAPH 97 Proceedings, 1997. QSlim simplfication package available from http://graphics.cs.uiuc.edu/~garland/software.html.
- 15.R. Ohbuchi, H. Masuda, and M. Aono. Watermarking Three-Dimensional Polygonal Models. Proceedings of the ACM International Conference on Multimedia.97, pp. 261–272, 1997Google Scholar
- 16.M. Wagner. Robust Watermarking of Polygonal Meshes. Proc. Geometric Modeling & Processing 2000, pp. 201–208, Hong Kong, April 10-12, 2000.Google Scholar
- 18.Ohbuchi, H. Masuda and M. Aono. A Shape-Preserving Data Embedding Algorithm for NURBS Curves and Surfaces. Proceedings of the Computer Graphics International (CGI) 1999, Canmore, Canada, June, 1999.Google Scholar
- 19.O. Benedens, “3D Watermarking Algorithms in Context of OpenSG Plus”, Technical Report 02i002-figd, 2002. Download through http://publica.fhg.de/.