A Task Oriented Approach to Delivery in Mobile Environments
The delivery of Internet content on mobile devices not only poses technological challenges, but also raises usability issues. In this paper, we propose an approach driven by tasks, where a task model is used to dynamically drive the interaction with the user and adapt the content to the device. We argue that such an approach is appropriate given the use of mobile devices for very specific tasks. We present an application to the journalistic domain: we have built a knowledge portal to assist a reporter writing an article. This portal demonstrates how a task model can be used for content adaptation on a mobile device.
KeywordsMobile Device Task Model Mobile Environment Cognitive Task Analysis World Fact
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [ADW01]C. R. Anderson, P. Domingos and D. S. Weld, “Personalizing Web Sites for Mobile Users”, in Poster Proceedings of WWW10, Hong Kong, May 1–5, 2001.Google Scholar
- [BFJ01]G. Buchanan, S. Farrant, M. Jones, G. Marsden, M. Pazzani and H. Thimbleby, “Improving Mobile Internet Usability”, in Proceedings of WWW10, Hong Kong, May 1–5, 2001.Google Scholar
- [CHV01]Nick Craswell, David Hawking, Anne-Marie Vercoustre and Peter Wilkins, “P@NOPTIC Expert: Searching for Experts not just for Documents”, in Ausweb 2001,21–25 April, 2001.Google Scholar
- [OT01]Nadine Ozkan, Robert Tot. Anticipating the Use of Mobile Video Communication, CSIRO Mathematical and Information Sciences Technical Report nb. 01/124, July 2001.Google Scholar
- [PV98]F. Paradis, A.-M. Vercoustre and B. Hills, “A Virtual Document Interpreter for Reuse of Information”, in Proceedings of Electronic Publishing’ 98 (Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1375), Saint-Malo, France, pp487–498, 1–3 April, 1998.Google Scholar
- [SCS99]J. M. C. Schraagen, S. E. Chipman, V. Shalin (Eds.), Cognitive Task Analysis, Laurence Erlbaum Associates, 1999.Google Scholar
- [TS98]A. Tombros and M. Sanderson, “Advantages of query-biased summaries in IR”, in Proceedings of the 21st ACM SIGIR conference, pp2–10, 1998.Google Scholar