Cooperative Caching in Ad Hoc Networks
Terminal’s latency, connectivity, energy and memory are the main characteristics of today’s mobile environments whose performance mayb e improved by caching. In this paper, we present an adaptive scheme for mobile Web data caching, which accounts for congestion of the wireless network and energylimit ation of mobile terminals. Our main design objective is to minimize the energycost of peer-to-peer communication among mobile terminals so as to allow for unexpensiveWeb access when a fixed access point is not available in the communication range of the mobile terminal. We propose a collaborative cache management strategyam ong mobile terminals interacting via an ad hoc network. We further provide evaluation of the proposed solution in terms of energy consumption on mobile devices.
KeywordsEnergy Consumption Destination Node Mobile Terminal Control Message Local Cache
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C. Bennett. Practical Wap, Developing applications for the Wireless Web. Cambridge UniversityPress, 2001.Google Scholar
- C.M. Bowman, P.B. Danzig, and D. Hardy. The Harvest information discovery and access system. Computer Networks and ISDN Systems, 28(1–2), 1995.Google Scholar
- D. Chakraborty, F. Perich, A. Joshi, T. Finin, and Y. Yesha. A reactive service composition architecture for pervasive computing environments. In proc. of PWC, 2002.Google Scholar
- H. Chang, C. Tait, N. Cohen, and M. Shapiro. Web browsing in a wireless environment: disconnected and asynchronous operation in ARTour Web express. In proc. of MOBICOM, 1997.Google Scholar
- J.H. Chang and L. Tassiulas. Energyc onserving routing in wireless ad-hoc networks. In proc. of INFOCOM (1), 2000.Google Scholar
- T. Clausen, P. Jacquet, A. Laouiti, P. Muhlethaler, A. Qayyum, and L. Viennot. Optimized link state routing protocol. In proc. of INMIC, 2001.Google Scholar
- S.R. Das, C.E. Perkins, and E.E. Royer. Performance comparison of two ondemand routing protocols for ad hoc networks. In proc. of INFOCOM (1), 2000.Google Scholar
- L. Fan, P. Cao, J. Almeida, and A.Z. Broder. Summarycac he: a scalable widearea Web cache sharing protocol. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 8(3), 2000.Google Scholar
- L. Feeney and M. Nilsson. Investigating the energycon sumption of a wireless network interface in ad hoc networking environment. In proc. of INFOCOM (5), 2001.Google Scholar
- Z. Haas. A new routing protocol for the reconfigurable wireless networks. In proc. of ICUP, 1997.Google Scholar
- Z. J. Haas and M.R. Pearlman. The performance of querycon trol schemes for the zone routing protocol. ACM/IEEE Transactions on Networking 9(4), 2001.Google Scholar
- W. Heinzelman, A. Chandrakasan, and H. Balakrisnan. Energy-efficient communication protocol for wireless microsensor networks. In proc. of HICSS, 2000.Google Scholar
- Intel. Mobile power guide v1.00. http://developer.intel.com/design/mobile/intelpower/, 2000.
- Z. Jinag and L. Kleinrock. Web prefetching in a mobile environment. IEEE Personal Communications, 5(8), 1998.Google Scholar
- D. Johnson and D Maltz. Dynamic source routing in ad hoc wireless networks. In Imielinski and Korth, editors, Mobile Computing. 1996.Google Scholar
- E. Markatos and C. Chronaki. A top-10 approach to prefetching on the Web. In proc. of INET, 1998.Google Scholar
- J.M. Menaud, V. Issarny, and M. Banatre. A scalable and efficient cooperative system for Web caches. In IEEE Concurrency. 8(3), 2000.Google Scholar
- K. Nakano and S. Olariu. Energy-efficient randomized routing in radio networks. In Proc. of DIALM, 2000.Google Scholar
- F. Perich, S. Avancha, D. Chakraborty, A. Joshi, and Y. Yesha. Profile driven data management for pervasive environments. In proc. of DEXA, 2002.Google Scholar
- C. Perkins. Ad-hoc on-demand distance vector routing. In Proc. of WMCSA, 1999.Google Scholar
- G.J. Pottie and W.J. Kaiser. Wireless integrated network sensors. Communications of the ACM, 2000.Google Scholar
- V. Valloppillil and K.W. Ross. Cache arrayrou ting protocol, Internet draft. http://ircache.nlanr.net/Cache/ICP/carp.txt, 1998.