Towards Autonomous Services for Smart Mobile Devices
In this paper a framework is presented which allows the discovery and execution of services on connected and partially autonomous mobile devices. Discovery and execution procedures are sensitive to the user’s context (current location, personal preferences, current network situation etc.). We present a description language for service offers which is used to provide the necessary information for a service registry running on the mobile device itself. Services are executed in an abstract manner (in the sense of a non-specific implementation) from the user’s point of view, getting an optimal result with respect to the current context out of a set of parallel invoked service implementations.
KeywordsMobile Device Service Discovery Service Registry Service Invocation Code Snippet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beck, J., Gefflaut, A., and Islam, N. MOCA: A service framework for mobile computing devices. In Proceedings of the ACM International Workshop on Data Engineering for Wireless and Mobile Access, August 20, 1999, Seattle, WA, USA (1999), ACM, pp. 62–68.Google Scholar
- Bettstetter, C., and Renner, C. A comparison of service discovery protocols and implementation of the service location protocol. In In Proceedings of Sixth EUNICE Open European Summer School-EUNICE 2000 (Twente, Netherlands, September 2000).Google Scholar
- Chakraborty, D., and Chen, H. Service discovery in the future for mobile commerce. http://www.cs.umbc.edu/~dchakr1/papers/mcommerce.html, 2000.
- Christensen, E., Curbera, F., Meredith, G., and Weerawarana, S. Web Services Description Language (WSDL). http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl, 2001.
- Dalmeijer, M., Hammer, D., and Aerts, A. Mobile software agents. http://wwwis.win.tue.nl/~wsinatma/Agents/MSA.ps, 1997.
- Dey, A. K. Understanding and using context. Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, Special issue on Situated Interaction and Ubiquitous Computing 5, 1 (2001).Google Scholar
- Dumas, M., O’Sullivan, J., Heravizadeh, M., Edmond, D., and TER Hofstede, A. Towards a semantic framework for service description. http://sky.fit.qut.edu.au/~dumas/publications.html, April 2001.
- Franklin, S., and Graesser, A. Is it an agent, or just a program?: A taxonomy for autonomous agents. In Proceedings of the Third International Workshop on Agent Theories, Architectures, and Languages (1996), Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Gribble, S. D., Welsh, M., VON Behren, R., Brewer, E. A., Culler, D. E., Borisov, N., Czerwinski, S. E., Gummadi, R., Hill, J. R., Joseph, A. D., Katz, R. H., Mao, Z. M., Ross, S., and Zhao, B. Y. The ninja architecture for robust internet-scale systems and services. Computer Networks, Special Issue on Pervasive Computing 35, 4 (March 2001), 473–497.Google Scholar
- Kagal, L., Korolev, V., Chen, H., Joshi, A., and Finin, T. Project centaurus: A framework for indoor mobile services. http://www.cs.umbc.edu/~fnin/papers/centaurus/.
- Kammann, J., Strang, T., and Wendlandt, K. Mobile services over short range communication. In Workshop Commercial Radio Sensors and Communication Techniques-CRSCT 2001 (Linz/Austria, August 2001).Google Scholar
- Linnhoff Popien, C. CORBA-Communications and Management. Springer, September 1998.Google Scholar
- Michahelles, F. Designing an architecture for context-aware service selection and execution. Master’s thesis, University of Munich, 2001.Google Scholar
- Nord, J., Synnes, K., and Parnes, P. An architecture for location aware applications. In Proceedings of the Hawai’i International Conference on System Sciences, Big Island, Hawaii (January 2002), IEEE.Google Scholar
- Romn, M., Beck, J., and Gefflaut, A. A device-independent representation for services.Google Scholar
- Samulowitz, M., Michahelles, F., and Linnhoff Popien, C. Capeus: An architecture for context-aware selection and execution of services. In New developments in distributed applications and interoperable systems (Krakow, Poland, September 17–19 2001), Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp. 23–39.Google Scholar
- Schmidt, A., and Laerhoven, K. V. How to build smart appliances. IEEE Personal Communications (August 2001).Google Scholar
- Steingass, A., Angermann, M., and Robertson, P. Integration of navigation and communication services for personal travel assistance using a jini and java based architecture. In Proc. GNSS’ 99 (Genova, Italy, October 1999).Google Scholar
- Strang, T., and Meyer, M. Agent-environment for small mobile devices. In Proceedings of the 9th HP OpenView University Workshop (HPOVUA) (June 2002), HP.Google Scholar
- Wang, Z., and Garlan, D. Task-driven computing, May 2000.Google Scholar