Tools and Techniques for Measuring and Improving Grid Performance
To better utilize its vast collection of heterogeneous resources that are geographically distributed across the United States, NASA is constructing a computational grid called the Information Power Grid (IPG). This paper describes various tools and techniques that we are developing to measure and improve the performance of a broad class of NASA applications when run on the IPG. In particular, we are investigating the areas of grid benchmarking, grid monitoring, user-level application scheduling, and decentralized system-level scheduling.
KeywordsComputational Grid Query Point Time Prediction Data Flow Graph Resource Broker
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Arora, M., Das, S.K., Biswas, R.: A De-centralized Scheduling and Load Balancing Algorithm for Heterogeneous Grid Environments. Proc. Workshop on Scheduling and Resource Management for Cluster Computing (2002) 499–505Google Scholar
- 3.Bailey, D.H., Barton, J.T., Lasinski, T.A., Simon, H.D. (Eds.): The NAS Parallel Benchmarks. NASA Ames Research Center TR RNR-91-002 (1991)Google Scholar
- 4.Foster, I., Kesselman, C. (Eds.): The Grid: Blueprint for a New Computing Infrastructure. Morgan Kauffmann (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Goldberg, D.E.: Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning. Addison-Wesley (1989)Google Scholar
- 8.Leinberger, W., Karypis, G., Kumar, V., Biswas, R.: Load Balancing Across Near-Homogeneous Multi-Resource Servers. Proc. 9th Heterogeneous Computing Workshop (2000) 60–71Google Scholar
- 9.Smith, W.: A Framework for Control and Observation in Distributed Environments. NASA Ames Research Center TR NAS-01-006 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Smith, W.: A System for Monitoring and Management of Computational Grids. Proc. 31st International Conference on Parallel Processing (2002) 55–62Google Scholar
- 11.Smith, W., Wong, P.: Resource Selection Using Execution and Queue Wait Time Predictions. NASA Ames Research Center TR NAS-02-003 (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Van der Wijngaart, R.F.: NAS Parallel Benchmarks Version 2.4. NASA Ames Research Center TR NAS-02-007 (2002)Google Scholar
- 13.Van der Wijngaart, R.F., Frumkin, M.: NAS Grid Benchmarks Version 1.0. NASA Ames Research Center TR NAS-02-005 (2002)Google Scholar