A Generalised Cost-Aware Caching Scheme for Caching Continuous Media Objects in Best-Effort Network Environments
In this paper, we investigate the potential of caching to improve QoS in the context of continuous media applications over wired best-effort networks. We propose the use of a flexible caching scheme, called GD-Multi in caching continuous media (CM) objects. An important novel feature of our scheme is the provision of user or system administrator inputs in determining the cost function. Based on the proposed flexible cost function, Multi, an improvised Greedy Dual (GD) replacement algorithm called GD-multi (GDM) has been developed for layered multi-resolution multimedia streams. The proposed Multi function takes receiver feedback into account. We investigate the influence of parameters such as loss rate, jitter, delay and area in determining a proxy’s cache contents so as to enhance QoS perceived by clients. Simulation studies show improvement in QoS perceived at the clients in accordance to supplied optimisation metrics. From an implementation perspective, signalling requirements for carrying QoS feedback are minimal and fully compatible with existing RTSP-based Internet applications.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aras, C.M., Kurose, J.F., Reeves, D.S., Schulzrinne, H.: Real-Time Communication in Packet-Switched Networks. Proceedings of the IEEE, 82:1(1994) 122–139Google Scholar
- 2.Cao, P., Irani, S.: Cost-aware WWW Proxy Caching Algorithms. in USENIX Symposium on Internet Technology and Systems. (1997) 193–206Google Scholar
- 7.Lau, W.H.O., Kumar, M., Venkatesh, S.: A Flexible Receiver-Driven Cache Replacement Scheme for Continuous Media Objects in Best-Effort Networks. in IEEE Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences. (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Schulzrinne, H., Rao, A., Lanphier, R.: Request For Comments 2326: Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP), Internet Engineering Task Force. (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.Krishnamurthy, B., Rexford, J.: Web Protocols and Practice: HTTP 1.1, Networking Protocols and Traffic Measurement. (2001) Addison Wesley.Google Scholar