On the Radiocoloring Problem
In this paper a survey on the Radiocoloring Problem is presented. The Radiocoloring Problem (RCP) consists of an assignment of colors from the integer set (0..λ) to the vertices of a graph, such that vertices at a distance of at most two get different colors and adjacent vertices get colors which are at least two apart. The aim is to minimize λ. The RCP arose in the field of wireless radio networks, and it concerns the problem of frequency assignment. Since its formal definition, the RCP has been widely studied due both to its intrinsic theoretical interest and to the growth of wireless networks.
KeywordsPlanar Graph Channel Assignment Radio Station Vehicular Technology Chordal Graph
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K.I. Aardal, S.P.M. van Hoesel, A.M.C.A. Koster, C. Mannino and A. Sassano. Models and Solution Techniques for Frequency Assignment Problems. ZIB-Report 01-40, Konrad-Zuse-Zentrum fur Informationstechnik Berlin, 2001.Google Scholar
- 2.A.A. Bertossi, C.M. Pinotti and R.B. Tan: Efficient Use of Radio Spectrum in Wireless Networks with Channel separation between Close Stations. Proc. 4th ACM Int. Workshop on Discrete Algorithms and Methods for Mobile Computing and Communications (DIAL M), 2000.Google Scholar
- 3.H.L. Bodlaender, T. Kloks, R.B. Tan and J. Van Leeuwen. Approximations for λ-Coloring of Graphs. Tech Rep. UU-CS-2000-25, 2000. A preliminary version has been published in Proc. of STACS 2000.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Brandstadt, V.B. Le and J.P. Spinrad: Graph Classes: A Survey. SIAM Monographs on Discrete Mathematics and Applications, 1999.Google Scholar
- 5.T. Calamoneri and R. Petreschi. λ-Coloring Unigraphs. Manuscript, submitted to Journal of Computer and System Sciences. 2001. A preliminary version has been published in Proc. of LATIN 02.Google Scholar
- 6.T. Calamoneri and R. Petreschi. λ-Coloring of Regular Tiling. Proc. First Cologne-Twente Workshop (CTW). Electronic Notes in Discrete Mathematics, 8, 2001. http://www.elsevier.nl/locate/endmCTW2001.
- 7.T. Calamoneri and R. Petreschi. L(2, 1)-Labeling of Planar Graphs (Extended Abstract). Proc. 5th ACM Int. Workshop on Discrete Algorithms and Methods for Mobile Computing and Communications (DIAL M), 2001, pp. 28–33.Google Scholar
- 11.W. Crompton, S. Hurley and N.M. Stephen. A parallel genetic algorithm for frequency assignment problems. Proc. IMACS/IEEE International Symp. on Signal Processing, Robotics and Neural Networks, pp. 81–84, 1994.Google Scholar
- 12.J. Fiala, T. Kloks and J. Kratochvíl. Fixed-parameter Complexity of λ-Labelings. Proc. Graph-Theoretic Concepts of Compu. Sci. (WG99), pp. 350–363. Lectures Notes in Computer Science 1665, 1999.Google Scholar
- 13.D.A. Fotakis, S.E. Nikoletseas, V.G. Papadoulou and P.G. Spirakis. NPcompleteness Results and Efficient Approximations for Radiocoloring in Planar Graphs. Proc. 25th Int.l Symp. on Math. Foundations of Compu. Sci. (MFCS 2000), 2000.Google Scholar
- 14.P. C. Fishburn and F. S. Roberts. Full Color Theorems for L(2, 1)-Colorings. DIMACS Tech. Rep. 2000-08, 2000.Google Scholar
- 17.J. P. Georges, D. W. Mauro and M. I. Stein. Labeling Products of Complete Graphs with a Condition at Distance Two. SIAM J. Discrete Math.: 28–35, 2000.Google Scholar
- 19.J. van den Heuvel and S. McGuinnes. Colouring the square of a planar graphs. Report LSE-CDAM-99-06, Centre for Discrete and Applicable Mathematics, London School of Economics, London, U.K., 1999.Google Scholar
- 20.K. Jonas. Graph Coloring Analogues With a Condition at Distance Two: L(2, 1)-Labelings and List λ-Labelings. Ph.D. thesis, University of South Carolina, Columbia, 1993.Google Scholar
- 21.A.M.C.A. Koster. Frequency Assignment. Ph.D. thesis, Universiteit Maastricht, 1999.Google Scholar
- 24.N.V.R. Mahadev and U.N. Peled. Threshold Graphs and Related Topics. Ann. Discrete Math. 56, 1995.Google Scholar
- 25.M. Molloy and M.R. Salavatipour. Frequency channel assignment on planar networks. Proc. of 10th Annual European Symposium on Algorithms (ESA 2002), pp. 736–747, Lectures Notes in Computer Science 2461, 2002.Google Scholar
- 26.R.A. Murphey, P.M. Pardalos and M.G.C. Resende. Frequency Assignment Problems. In Handbook of Combinatorial Optimization, D.-Z. Du and P.M. Pardalos (Eds.):295–377, 1999. Kluwer Academic Publishers.Google Scholar
- 29.M. Shepherd. Radio Channel Assignment. Ph.D. thesis, Merton College, Oxford, 1998.Google Scholar
- 31.R. Y. Yeh. Labeling Graphs with a Condition at Distance Two. Ph.D. Thesis, Dept. of Mathematics, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC, 1990.Google Scholar