Accelerating the CKY Parsing Using FPGAs
The main contribution of this paper is to present an FPGAbased implementation of an instance-specific hardware which accelerates the CKY (Cook-Kasami-Younger) parsing for context-free grammars. Given a context-free grammar G and a string x, the CKY parsing determines if G derives x. We have developed a hardware generator that creates a Verilog HDL source to perform the CKY parsing for any given context-free grammar G. The created source is embedded in an FPGA using the design software provided by the FPGA vendor. We evaluated the instance-specific hardware, generated by our hardware generator, using a timing analyzer and tested it using the Altera FPGAs. The generated hardware attains a speed-up factor of approximately 750 over the software CKY parsing algorithm. Hence, we believe that our approach is a promising solution for the CKY parsing.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A.V. Aho and J.D. Ullman. The Theory of Parsing Translation and Compiling. Prentice Hall, 1972. 42Google Scholar
- E. Charniak. Statistical Language Learning. MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1993. 42Google Scholar
- C. Ciressan, E. Sanchez, M. Rajman, and J.-C. Chappelier. An FPGA-based coprocessor for the parsing of context-free grammars. In Proc. of IEEE Symposium on Field-Programmable Custom Computing Machines, 2000. 42Google Scholar
- C. Ciressan, E. Sanchez, M. Rajman, and J.-C. Chappelier. An FPGA-based syntactic parser for real-life almost unrestricted context-free grammars. In Proc. of International Conference on Field Programmable Logic and Applications (FPL), pages 590–594, 2001. 42Google Scholar
- A. Gibbons and W. Rytter. Efficient Parallel Algorithms. Cambridge University Press, 1988. 42Google Scholar
- N. D. Jones, C. K. Gomard, and P. Sestoft. Partial Evaluation and Automatic Program Generation. Prentice Hall, 1993. 41Google Scholar
- J. C. Martin. Introduction to languages and the theory of computation (2nd Edition). Mac-Graw Hill, 1996. 42Google Scholar
- M.P. van Lohuizen. Survey on parallel context-free parsing techniques. Technical Report IMPACT-NLI-1997-1, Delft University of Technology, 1997. 42Google Scholar