A Parallel DFA Minimization Algorithm
In this paper,we have considered the state minimization problem for Deterministic Finite Automata (DFA). An efficient parallel algorithm for solving the problem on an arbitrary CRCW PRAM has been proposed. For n number of states and k number of inputs in Σ of the DFA to be minimized,the algorithm runs in O(kn log n) time and uses O( n/log n ) processors.
KeywordsParallel Algorithm Sequential Algorithm Input Symbol Automaton Theory Block Number
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aho A. V., Hopcroft J.E. and Ullman J. D.: The design and analysis of computer algorithms. Addison-Wesley,Reading, Massachusetts (1974) 35, 36Google Scholar
- Hopcroft J.E.: An n log n algorithm for minimizing states in a finite automata. Theory of Machines and Computation,A cademic Press (1971) 189–19635Google Scholar
- Hopcroft J.E. and Ullman J.D.: Introduction to automata theory,languages, and computation. Addison-Wesley,Reading, Massachusetts (1979) 34Google Scholar
- Moore E. F.: Gedanken-experiments on sequential circuits. Automata Studies, Princeton University Press (1956) 129–153 34Google Scholar
- Ravikumar B. and Xiong X.: A parallel algorithm for minimization of finite automata. Proceedings of the 10th International Parallel Processing Symposium, Honululu,Hawaii (1996) 187–191 35Google Scholar
- Vardi M.: Nontraditional applications of automata theory. Lecture Notes in Computer Science,Springer-Verlag 789 (1994) 575–597 34Google Scholar