Router Handoff: An Approach for Preemptive Route Repair in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
Mobile Adhoc Networks (MANET) are distributed, mobile, wireless, multihop networks that operate without pre-existing communication infrastructure. Several routing protocols both reactive and proactive have been proposed to provide the self starting behavior needed for adhoc networks. Unreliable wireless links and node mobility may result in a large number of route breakages. The standard approach followed in reactive routing protocols in case of broken routes is to flag an error and re-initiate route discovery either at the source or at an intermediate node. Repairing these broken links increases routing overhead and the delay in delivering packets. In this paper, we propose an approach called Router Hando. which repairs routes preemptively, before they break, by using other nodes in the vicinity of a weak link. We have incorporated Router Hando. into the AODV routing protocol and have validated the idea through analysis and simulations. The results of the simulations indicate an increase in throughput under certain conditions. This improvement is a result of smaller overhead and delay.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- MANET Working Group Charter, http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/manetcharter.html 347
- Charles Perkins and Elizabeth Royer, Ad Hoc On-Demand Distance Vector Routing, Proc. of the 2nd IEEE Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications, New Orleans. 347Google Scholar
- David Johnson and David Maltz, Dynamic Source Routing in Ad Hoc Wireless Networks, in Mobile Computing (1996), T. Imielinski and H. Korth, eds., Kluwer Academic Publishers. 347Google Scholar
- Charles Perkins and Pravin Bhagwat, Highly Dynamic Destination Sequenced Distance Vector Routing, ACM SIGCOMM, October 1994. 347Google Scholar
- Young-Bae Ko and Nitin H. Vaidya, Location-Aided Routing (LAR) in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks, Proc. of ACM/IEEE MobiCom (1998), Dallas, Texas, pp. 66–75. 347Google Scholar
- Raghupaty Sivakumar, Bevan Das and Vaduvur Bhargavan, Routing in Ad Hoc Networks Using a Spine, Proc. of ICCCN (1997), Las Vegas. 347Google Scholar
- Bo Ryu, Jason Erickson, Jim Smallcomb and Son Dao, Virtual Wire for Managing Virtual Dynamic Backbone in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks, Proc. of Dial-M (1999), Seattle. 347Google Scholar
- Jinyang Li, Charles Blake, Douglas S. J., De Couto, Hu Imm Lee and Robert Morris, Capacity of Ad Hoc Wireless Networks, Proc. of ACM MobiCom (2001), Rome, Italy. 351Google Scholar
- T. Go., N. B. Abu-Ghazaleh, D. S. Phatak and R. Kahvecioglu, Preemptive Routing in Ad Hoc Networks, Proc. of ACM MobiCom (2001), Rome, Italy. 355Google Scholar