A Lightweight Protocol between Digital Libraries and Visualization Systems
- 726 Downloads
A lightweight protocol, VIDI, is proposed to enhance the interoperability of digital libraries (DLs) and visualization systems (VIS). VIDI is related to the Open Digital Library project, which encourages a component-based approach to the construction of digital libraries, implemented by extending the Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting. VIDI adds in the concept of a registry of transformers to convert between common metadata and visualization formats. Design and implementation discussions of VIDI explain its feasibility, .exibility, and generality.
KeywordsDigital Library Visualization System Metadata Format Open Archive Initiative Digital Library Research
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fox, E.A.: Advancing Education through Digital Libraries: NSDL, CITIDEL, and NDLTD. In Proc. of the International Conference: Digital Library IT Opportunities and Challenges in the New Millennium, Beijing (2002), pp. 107–117Google Scholar
- 2.Fox, E.A., and Urs, S.R.: Digital Libraries. Annual Review of Information Science and Technology, ed. Blaise Cronin, Vol. 36, Ch. 12, pp. 503–589 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Gonçalves, M.A., France, R.K., and Fox, E.A.: MARIAN: Flexible Interoperability for Federated Digital Libraries. In Proceedings 5th European Conference on Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries, ECDL’2001, September 4–8, 2001, Darmstadt, Germany, pp. 173–186Google Scholar
- 4.Lin, C., Chen, H., and Nunamaker, J.F.: Verifying the Proximity Hypothesis for Self-Organizing Maps. Journal of Management Information Systems, 16(3):57–70, 2000Google Scholar
- 5.Nowell, L., France, R., Hix, D., Heath, L., and Fox, E. Visualizing Search Results: Some Alternatives to Query-document Similarity, in Proc. SIGIR’96, Zurich, Switzerland, Aug. 18–22, 1996, pp.67–75.Google Scholar
- 7.Sompel, H.V., and Lagoze, C.: The Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting. (2001) Available online: http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/openarchivesprotocol.htm
- 8.Suleman, H., and Fox, E.A.: A Framework for Building Open Digital Libraries. D-Lib Magazine, December 2001, 7(12)Google Scholar
- 9.Suleman, H., and Fox, E.A.: Designing Protocols in Support of Digital Library Componentization. In Proceedings of the 6th European Conference on Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries (ECDL2002), September 16–18, 2002, Rome, Italy, pp.568–582Google Scholar
- 11.Wang, J. (2002). VIDI: A Lightweight Protocol between Visualization Systems and Digital Libraries. Master’s Thesis, Dept. of Computer Science, Virginia TechGoogle Scholar
- 12.Wang, J., Agrawal, A., Bazaz, A., Angle, S., Fox, E.A., and North, C. Enhancing the ENVISION Interface for Digital Libraries. Short paper in Proc. JCDL’2002 Second Joint ACM / IEEE-CS Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, July 14–18, 2002, Portland, pp.275–276.Google Scholar
- 13.Wise, James A., Thomas, James J., Pen-nock, Kelly, Lantrip, David, Pottier, Marc, and Schur, Anne. Visualizing the non-visual: Spatial analysis and interaction with information from text documents. In Proc. of the Information Visualization Symposium, pp. 51–58. IEEE Computer Society Press, 1995.Google Scholar