Programmable Resource Discovery Using Peer-to-Peer Networks
Some forms of programmable networks such as funnelWeb allow service components to be deployed discretely (i.e. out-of-band) on a suitable configuration of elements, but do not define mechanisms to determine such configurations.
We present a mechanism to resolve arbitrary service-specific deployment constraints into a suitable node configuration. To focus constraint resolution, we arrange programmable elements into an overlay, and use this to interpolate/extrapolate more favourable locations. Programmable service components are used to evaluate suitability of individual nodes.
KeywordsOverlay Network Programmable Element Service Component Service Deployment Constraint Dimension
- [CSWH01]I. Clarke, Oskar. S., B. Wiley, and T.W. Hong. Freenet: A Distributed Anonymous Information Storage and Retrieval System. In H. Federrath, editor, Designing Privacy Enhancing Technologies: International Workshop on Design Issues in Anonymity and Unobservability, volume 2009 of LNCS, New York, 2001. Springer.Google Scholar
- [FG98]M. Fry and A. Ghosh. Application Level Active Networking. In Computer Networks and ISDN Systems, 1998.Google Scholar
- [GF97]A. Ghosh and M. Fry. Javaradio: an application level active network. In Third International Workshop on High Performance Protocols (HIPPARCH’ 97), London, June 1997.Google Scholar
- [GFC00]A. Ghosh, M. Fry, and J. Crowcroft. An Architecture for Application Layer Routing. In IWAN 2000, Tokyo, Japan, October 2000.Google Scholar
- [RD01]A. Rowstron and P. Drushcel. Pastry: Scalable, distributed object location and routing for large-scale peer-to-peer systems. In IFIP/ACM Middleware 2001, Heidelberg, Germany, November 2001.Google Scholar
- [RFH+01]S. Ratnasamy, P. Francis, M. Handley, R. Karp, and S Shenker. A Scalable Content-Addressable Network. In ACM Sigcomm 2001, August 2001.Google Scholar
- [RHKS02]S. Ratnasmay, M. Handley, R. Karp, and S. Shenker. Topologically-Aware Overlay Construction and Server Selection. In IEEE INFOCOM 2002, June 2002.Google Scholar
- [SBSH01]S. Simpson, M. Banfield, P. Smith, and D. Hutchison. Component Selection for Heterogeneous Active Networking. volume 2207 of LNCS, pages 84–100. Springer, September/October 2001.Google Scholar
- [SMCH01]P. Smith, L. Mathy, R. Canonico, and D. Hutchison. ALM and ProgNets for v4-to-v6 Multicast Transition. In IEEE OpenArch 2001-Short Paper Session “Ghosts of the Net!”, Anchorage, Alaska, April 2001.Google Scholar
- [WGT99]D. Wetherall, J. Guttag, and D. Tennenhouse. ANTS: Network Services Without the Red Tape. IEEE Computer, 32(4):42–49, April 1999.Google Scholar