Computational Cortical Cell Models for Continuity and Texture
Area V1 and higher areas in the visual cortex contain many feature extraction engines that serve to build a symbolic image representation. In this paper we present models of cells that complement a multiscale line and edge extraction. After reviewing a frontend that comprises Gabor filters (simple cells), bar and grating cells, we introduce a bar cell grouping for completing occluded curvilinear structures (snakes), as well as a grating cell grouping for coding periodic textures with different complexities.
KeywordsPerceptual grouping cortical cells snakes textures
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Santos, L., du Buf, H.: Improved grating and bar cell models in diatom analysis, Image and Vision Computing (2001) (to appear).Google Scholar
- 4.von der Heydt, R., Peterhans, E., Dürsteler, M.: Periodic-pattern-selective cells in monkey visual cortex, J. of Neuroscience 12 (1997) 83–96.Google Scholar
- 6.Santos, L. M., du Buf, H.: Improved grating and bar cell models in diatom analysis, Proc. 7th Neural Computation and PsychologyWorkshop: Connectionist Models of Cognition and Perception, John A. Bullinaria & Will Lowe (eds), World Scientific, Singapore (2002).Google Scholar
- 7.Jones, J., Palmer, A.: An evaluation of the two-dimensional Gabor filter model of simple receptive fields in cat striate cortex, J. Neurophysiol. 58 (1987) 1233–1258.Google Scholar
- 11.Xu, C., Prince, J. L.: Snakes, Shapes, and Gradient Vector Flow, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, (1998) 359–369.Google Scholar
- 12.Sonka, M., Hlavac, V., Boyle, R.: Image Processing, Analysis, and Machine Vision, PWS, second edition (1998) Chapter 5.Google Scholar
- 13.Puzicha, J.: Multiscale annealing for grouping, segmentation and image quantization, PhD Thesis, Bonn (1999).Google Scholar
- 17.du Buf, J. M. H., Heitger, F.: A neural network for detecting symmetry orders, Proc. 7th ICIAP, Bari (Italy): Progress in Image Analysis III, S. Impedovo (ed.) World Scientific, 72 (1994) 669–672.Google Scholar