Theoretical Studies of Plasma Wave Coupling: A New Approach
New numerical and analytical methods are applied to wave coupling in inhomogeneous plasma. It is found that the X-mode feeds energy into the upper hybrid resonance at plasma inhomogeneities oriented perpendicular to the ambient magnetic field. The results are consistent with previous studies using other methods. When a finite pressure is introduced, the upper hybrid waves are no longer stationary and start propagating. They can form cavity modes and emit a small fraction of O (or X) waves. Limitations of the present study are the neglect of collisions and plasma pressure effects which might limit the growth of the upper hybrid waves; furthermore, this study concentrates on the case for which the density gradient is perpendicular to the magnetic field, a condition that is valid near the equator.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Antani, S.N., N.N. Rao, and D.J. Kaup: Geophys. Res. Lett. 18, 2285 (1991). Google Scholar
- Antani, S.N., D.J. Kaup, and N.N. Rao: J. Geophys. Res. 101, 27,035 (1996). Google Scholar
- Bellman, R. and G.M. Wing: An Introduction to Invariant Imbedding (Wiley, New York, 1976). Google Scholar
- Budden, K.G.: The Propagation of Radio Waves (Cambridge, Cambridge, 1985). Google Scholar
- Ginzburg, V.L.: Propagation of electromagnetic waves in plasmas (Pergamon Press, New York, 1964). Google Scholar
- Hinkel-Lipsker, D.E., B.D. Fried, and G.J. Morales: Phys. Fluids B 4, 559 (1992). Google Scholar
- Kim, E.-H. and D.-H. Lee: Geophys. Res. Lett. 30, 2240 (2003). Google Scholar
- Kim, K., D.-H. Lee, and H. Lim: Europhys. Lett. 69, to appear (2005). Google Scholar
- Kim, K.-S., D.-H. Lee, E.-H. Kim, and K. Kim: Geophys. Res. Lett., submitted (2005) Google Scholar
- Lee, D.-H. and R.L. Lysak: J. Geophys. Res. 94, 17,097 (1989). Google Scholar
- Lee, D.-H., M.K. Hudson, K. Kim, R.L. Lysak, and Y. Song: J. Geophys. Res. 107, 1307 (2002). Google Scholar
- Shepherd, S.G., J. LaBelle, and M.L. Trimpi: Geophys. Res. Lett. 24, 3161 (1997). Google Scholar
- Swanson, D.G.: Theory of Mode Conversion and Tunneling in Inhomogeneous Plasmas (Wiley, New York, 1998). Google Scholar