Structure and Replication of Hepatitis Delta Virus RNA
- 832 Downloads
While this volume covers many different aspects of hepatitis delta virus (HDV) replication, the focus in this chapter is on studies of the structure and replication of the HDV RNA genome. An evaluation of such studies is not only an integral part of our understanding of HDV infections but it also sheds new light on some important aspects of cell biology, such as the fidelity of RNA transcription by a host RNA polymerase and on various forms of post-transcriptional RNA processing. Representations of the replication of the RNA genome are frequently simplified to a form of rolling-circle model, analogous to what have been described for plant viroids. One theme of this review is that such models, even after some revision, deceptively simplify the complexity of HDV replication and can fail to make clear major questions yet to be solved.
KeywordsHepatitis Delta Virus Prog Clin Biol Linear RNAs Hepatitis Delta Virus Infection Delta Protein
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chang J, Nie X, Gudima S, Taylor J (2006) Action of inhibitors on accumulation of processed hepatitis delta virus RNAs. J Virol (in press)Google Scholar
- Chang J, Taylor JM (2003) Susceptibility of human hepatitis delta virus RNAs to small interfering RNA action. J Virol 77:9722–9731Google Scholar
- Cunha C, Freitas N, Mota S (2003) Developments in hepatitis delta research. The Internet Journal of Tropical MedicineGoogle Scholar
- Flint SJ, Enquist LW, Racaniello VR, Skalka AM. 2004. Principles of Virology: Molecular Biology, Pathogenesis, and Control of Animal Viruses. Washington: ASM PressGoogle Scholar
- Gerin JL, Casey JL, Purcell RH (2001) Hepatitis Delta Virus. In: Howley PM, (ed) Fields’ Virology. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, pp 3037–3050Google Scholar
- Gowans EJ, Macnaughton TB, Jilbert AR, Burrell CJ (1991) Cell culture model systems to study HDV expression, replication and pathogenesis. In: Rizzetto M, (ed) The Hepatitis Delta Virus. Wiley-Liss, New York, pp 299–308Google Scholar
- Itaya A, Folimonov A, Matsuda Y, Nelson RS, Ding B (2001) Potato spindle tuber viroid as inducer of RNA silencing in infected tomato. Mol Plant Microb Interact 14:1332–1334Google Scholar
- Radjef N, Gordien E, Ivaniushina V, Gault E, Anais P, Drugan T, Trinchet JC, Roulot D, Tamby M, Milinkovitch MC and others (2004) Molecular phylogenetic analyses indicate a wide and ancient radiation of African hepatitis delta virus, suggesting a deltavirus genus of at least seven major clades. J Virol 78:2537–2544PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Taylor JM (2004) Structure and replication of hepatitis delta virus RNA. In: Yamaguchi Y, (ed) Hepatitis Delta Virus. EurekahGoogle Scholar