An Analytical Comparison on Cost and Performance among DMS, AMS, FMS and RMS
- 2k Downloads
Dedicated Manufacturing Systems (DMS), Adjustable Manufacturing Systems (AMS), Flexible Manufacturing Systems (FMS) are the three basic types of manufacturing systems commonly used in manufacturing industries, while Reconfigurable Manufacturing Systems (RMS) is considered as the future of manufacturing systems. In this paper we will give an analytical and qualitative comparison among DMS, AMS, FMS and RMS from the viewpoint of cost, adaptability, complexity, production rate and ramp-up time.
KeywordsMachine Tool Manufacturing System Machine Time Flexible Manufacture System Life Cycle Cost
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chernov N. (1975) Machine Tools, Mir Publishers, Moscow.Google Scholar
- Dirk M. and Hermann K. (1999) The Re-configurable Enterprise- an Appearing Paradigm of Future Manufacturing, The First International Symposium on Environmentally Conscious Design and Inverse Manufacturing, EcoDesign’99 458–462.Google Scholar
- Donald H. L. and Brian L. H. (1990) A Computer Based Production Scheduling Architecture Suitable for Driving a Reconfigurable Manufacturing System, Computer IND. ENGNG, Vol. 19, Nos. 1–4, 1–5.Google Scholar
- Hitomi T. (1996) Manufacturing Systems Engineering, Taylor & Francis Inc.Google Scholar
- Koren Y. et al. (1999) Reconfigurable Manufacturing Systems, Annals of the CIRP, Vol.48/2, 27–40.Google Scholar
- Lee G. H. (1997) Reconfigurability Consideration Design of Components and Manufacturing Systems, Int J Adv Manuf. Technol, 13:376–386.Google Scholar
- Nike B. and Chengen W. (1999) Reconfigurable Manufacturing Systems and Environment Consciousness, The First International Symposium on Environmentally Conscious Design and Inverse Manufacturing, EcoDesign’99 463–468.Google Scholar