Numerical Simulations for Geodetic Parameter Estimation from Space VLBI Data
Space Very Long Baseline Interferometry (SVLBI) is primarily a radio astronomical technique, which extends conventional VLBI baselines into the space. Its potential applications in Global Geodesy include interconnection of celestial and terrestrial reference frames, and orbit determination using the delay and delay rate observables. In the past two decades, there have been significant theoretical developments in this field. With the launch of the first SVLBI satellite of the VLBI Space Observatory Programme (VSOP), Japan, this technique has now been realized. The Geodesy Demonstration Experiment (GEDEX) is designed to explore the feasibility of the geodetic applications of SVLBI. In this paper, some results of the numerical simulations for geodetic parameter estimation from VSOP data are presented.
With the availability of real data from VSOP, it is necessary to repeat the precision analysis carried out earlier, in order to re-estimate the precision under realistic conditions. Numerical simulations for this purpose have been initiated, and the first results are presented in this paper. Conclusions are drawn, based upon the results obtained, and the implications for possible dedicated geodetic SVLBI missions in the future are discussed.
KeywordsSpace VLBI GEDEX VSOP geodesy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ádáim J. (1990): Estimability of Geodetic Parameters from Space VLBI Observables, Report No. 406, Dept. of Geodetic Science & Surveying, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USAGoogle Scholar
- Kulkarni M.N. (1992): A Feasibility Study of Space VLBI for Geodesy & Geodynamics, Report No. 420, Dept. of Geodetic Science & Surveying, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USAGoogle Scholar
- Kulkami M.N., Ádám J. (1993): A Sensitivity Analysis for Orbit Determination of SVLBI Satellites for Interconnection of Reference Frames, Acta Geod. Geophys. Mont. Hung. 28, 441Google Scholar
- Kulkarmi M.N., Ádám J., Fejes I., Frey S., Kampes B., Zheng Y., Hu X. (1998): Geodesy Demonstration Experiment (GEDEX) for Space VLBI: State of the Art and software Development. in: Geodesy on the Move — Gravity, Geoid, Geodynamics and Antarctica, eds. Forsberg R., Feissel M., Dietrich R., IAG Symposia 119, Springer-Verlag, Berlin-Heidelberg-New York, 383Google Scholar
- Kulkami M.N., Ádám J., Fejes I., Frey S., Paragi Z. (2002): Recent Developments in Space VLBI Geodesy Experiment (GEDEX), in: Vistas for Geodesy in the New Millennium, eds. Adim J., Schwarz K.-P., IAG Symposia 125, Springer-Verlag, Berlin-Heidelberg-New York, 18Google Scholar