An Image Analysis and Photogrammetric Engineering Integrated Shadow Detection Model
A model of automatically detecting the building shadows in high resolution aerial remote sensing image is introduced in this paper. The space coordinates of the shadows are first computed using photogrammetric engineering. To do this, digital surface model (DSM) and the sun zenith and azimuth angles are used. By camera model, the scanning line and the camera position are calculated for each space shadow. A contour driven height field ray tracing is proposed to determine the visibility of a shadow. For a visible shadow, its projecting in the image, called measured shadow, is calculated by collinearity equations. Then by image analysis the reference segmentation threshold is obtained from the intensity distribution of the measured shadows. At last, the image segmentation is implemented to get the precise image shadow areas.
KeywordsShadow detection remote sensing DSM ray tracing photogrammetric engineering
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bittner J., 1999, Hierarchical techniques for visibility determination, Postgraduate Study Report, DC-PSR-99-05.Google Scholar
- Chen, L.C. and Rau J.Y., 1993, A unified solution for digital terrain model and orthoimage generation from SPOT stereopairs, IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 31(6), 1243–1252.Google Scholar
- Gong P., Shi P., Pu R., etc., 1996, Earth Observation Techniques and Earth System Science(Science Press, Beijing, China).Google Scholar
- Paglierroni D. W. and Petersen S. M., 1994, Height distributional distance transform methods for height field ray tracing, ACMTransactionson Graphics, 13(4), 376–399.Google Scholar
- Zhang Z., Zhang J., 1997, Digital Photogrammetry(Press of WTUSM, Wuhan, China).Google Scholar
- Zhou G., Qin Z., Kauffmann P., Rand J., 2003, Large-scale city true orthophoto mapping for urban GIS application, ASPRS 2003 Annual Conference Proceedings.Google Scholar
- ADS40 Information Kit for Third-Party Developers 2001, www.gis.leicageosystems.comGoogle Scholar