A graph-theoretic approach for designing fair distributed resource scheduling algorithms
Using the Theory of Interaction Systems a fair solution for a generalized mutual exclusion problem had been published. In this paper, its formal mechanism is analyzed in detail from an extended perspective. As a result, we derive the formal specification of a fair solution for the most general resource scheduling problem under completely distributed control. The particular point is that our formal approach allows for a stepwise construction procedure in which each step models a solution for a special case of the problem. The formal specification is then broken down into an algorithm in a procedural language. It is shown how each formal construction step is decomposable into a deadlock-free algorithm and an additional part which then guarantees fairness. Besides discussing the flexibility of our theoretical tools for approaching such general problems we also mention a practical application (resource management in the completely distributed operating system DRAGON SLAYER).
KeywordsInteraction System Critical Section Mutual Exclusion Neighborhood Graph Global Precedence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J.-P. BANATRE, M. BANATRE, G. LAPALME, F. PLOYETTE, The Design and Building of ENCHERE, a Distributed Electronic Marketing System; CACM Vol. 29 No. 1(1986)Google Scholar
- B. BOSCHMANN, Zur Verhaltensanalyse in verteilten Systemen. Diploma Thesis, Bonn 1984(German)Google Scholar
- H.-D. BREMER, Planung in Grossunternehmen mit Hilfe der Interaktions-systeme. Diploma Thesis, Bonn 1984(German)Google Scholar
- K.M. CHANDY, J. MISRA, The Drinking Philosophers Problem; TOPLAS Vol. 6 No. 4(1984)Google Scholar
- R.E. DE VILLERS, P.E. LAUER, A General Mechanism for Avoiding Starvation with Distributed Control; Information Processing Letters Vol. 7 No. 3(1978)Google Scholar
- E.W. DIJKSTRA, Two Starvation-free solutions to a General Exclusion Problem; EWD 625; Plataanstraat 5, 5671 AL Nuenen, The NetherlandsGoogle Scholar
- C. FRIEDLANDER, H.F. WEDDE, Distributed Processing under the DRAGON SLAYER Operating System; Proc. of the 15th IEEE Conference on Parallel Processing; Pheasant Run/111., August 1986Google Scholar
- A. MAGGIOLO-SCHETTINI, H. WEDDE, J. WINKOWSKI, Modeling a Solution of a Control Problem in Distributed Systems by Restrictions. Theoretical Computer Science 13(1981), 61–83; North HollandGoogle Scholar
- H. WEDDE, An Iterative and Starvation-free Solution for a General Class of Distributed Control Problems Based on Interaction Primitives. Theoretical Computer Science Vol. 24(1983), 1–20; North HollandGoogle Scholar
- H.F. WEDDE, A General Distributed Graph Algorithm for Fair Access to Critical Sections; invited talk: 1st International Workshop on Distributed Algorithms on Graphs; Ottawa, August 1985Google Scholar
- J. WINKOWSKI, Protocols of Accessing Overlapping Sets of Resources; Information Processing Letters Vol. 12 No. 5(1981); North HollandGoogle Scholar