Equilibrium polymerization of stiff polymers
Equilibrium polymerization of stiff polymers is considered in a meanfield approximation. It is shown that polymerization is of order-disorder type. The phase diagram exhibits a critical line which is replaced at tricritical point,by a discontinuity line. It is also found that polymer weight fraction is non-zero at both sides of the transition showing only a mild singularity (∼‖T-Tc‖) at continuous transition.
KeywordsCritical Line Effective Field Theory Tricritical Point Flexible Polymer Discontinuity Line
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J.C. Wheeler, S.J. Kennedy and P. Pfeuty, Phys. Rev. Lett. 45, 1748 (1980); J.C. Wheeler and P. Pfeuty, Phys. Rev. A23, 1531 (1981); J.C. Wheeler and P. Pfeuty, Phys. Rev. Lett. 46, 1409 (1981).Google Scholar
- 2.G. Gee, Trans. Faraday Soc. 48, 515 (1952); A.V. Tobolsky and A. Eisenberg, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 81,780 (1959).Google Scholar
- 3.R. Cordery, Phys. Rev. Lett. 47, 457 (1981).Google Scholar
- 4.M.V. Jaric and K.H. Bennemann (to be published).Google Scholar
- 5.H. Falk, Am. J. Phys. 38, 858 (1970).Google Scholar
- 6.A detailed treatment for both S > O and S δ<0(ground state infinitely degenerated) will be presented elsewhere.Google Scholar
- 7.S. Smart. Effective Field Theories of Magnetism (W.B Saunders Company, Philadelphia 1966).Google Scholar
- 8.M.V. Jaric and B. Nienhuis (in preparation)Google Scholar
- 9.F. Rys, private communications.Google Scholar