CPU scheduling for effective multiprogramming
- 131 Downloads
Several analytically solvable queueing models of multiprogramming with different jobs and various scheduling disciplines are investigated. It is shown that the analysis of these models supports the optimality of the already proposed CPU scheduling discipline which assigns higher processing priority to a more I/O bound job. Furthermore, the effects of some endogenous scheduling disciplines such as preemptive-resume last-come-first-served are compared with that of this discipline using some queueing models.
KeywordsService Time Central Processing Unit Utilization Service Time Distribution Processor Sharing Preemptive Priority
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anderson, H.A., Jr. (1973). Approximating Pre-emptive Priority Dispatching in a Multiprogramming Model. IBM J. Res. Develop, Vol.17, No.6, November 1973, pp. 533–539.Google Scholar
- Baskett, F., Chandy, K.M., Muntz, R.R., and Palacios, F.G. (1975). Open, Closed, and Mixed Networks of Queues with Different Classes of Customers. J. ACM, Vol.22, No.2, April 1975, pp. 248–260.Google Scholar
- Boyse, J.H., and Warn, D.R. (1975). A Straightforward Model for Computer Performance Prediction. ACM Computing Surveys, Vol.7, no.2, April 1975, pp. 73–93.Google Scholar
- Kameda, H. (1979). A Finite-Source Queue with Different Customers. Technical Report 79-01, Dept. of Computer Science, The University of Electro-Communications, October 1979. To appear in J. ACM, Vol.29, No.2, April 1982.Google Scholar
- Lazowska, E.D., and Sevcik, K.C. (1974). Scheduling in Systems with Two Scarce Resources. Proc. ACM Nat'l Conf. San Diego (Calif.), November 1974, pp. 66–73.Google Scholar
- Mitrani, I. (1972). A Queueing Model of Priority Multiprogramming. Technical Report 41, Computing Laboratory, University of Newcastle Upon Tyne, December 1972.Google Scholar
- Noetzel, A.S. (1979). A Generalized Queueing Discipline for Product Form Network Solutions. J. ACM, Vol.26, No.4, October 1979, pp. 779–793.Google Scholar
- Price, T.G. (1972). An Analysis of Central Processor Scheduling in Multiprogrammed Computer Systems. Technical Report No. 57, Digital Systems Laboratory, Stanford University, October 1972.Google Scholar
- Ryder, K.D. (1970). A Heuristic Approach to Task Dispatching. IBM Systems Journal, Vol.9, No.3, July 1970, pp.189–198.Google Scholar
- Spirn, J.R. (1976). Multi-queue Scheduling of Two Tasks. Acta Informatica, Vol.7, Fasc.2, 1976, pp.217–226.Google Scholar