Interfacial instability induced by the combined effect of diffuse electrical double layer and gravitational forces
The configurational stability of a flat charged interface between two immiscible liquid phases is investigated by means of a linear perturbation analysis. The adsorption of surface active ions and the presence of diffuse electrical double layers are taken into account. Gravitational forces are related to the bulk tractions and to the surface weight. We discuss examples related to the nitrobenzene-water system. It is shown that the system becomes unstable for a critical electrical profile, even in the presence of viscous effects. The coupling between normal and longitudinal displacement modes due to the combined effect of electrical and gravitational forces is relevant for this instability.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. Glansdorff and I. Prigogine, “Thermodynamics of Structure, Stability and Fluctuations”, Wiley, New York (1971).Google Scholar
- 2.A. Steinchen and A. Sanfeld, Colloid and Interface Science, V. III, 498 (1977).Google Scholar
- 3.R. Defay, I. Prigogine and A. Sanfeld, J. Colloid Interf. Sci. 58, 498 (1977).Google Scholar
- 4.A. Sanfeld and A. Steinchen, Biophys. Chem. 3, 99 (1975).Google Scholar
- 5.M. Hennenberg, T.S. Sørensen, A. Steinchen and A. Sanfeld, J. Chem. Physique 72, 1202 (1975).Google Scholar
- 6.C. V. Sterling and L. E. Scriven, A.I.Ch.J. 5, 514 (1964).Google Scholar
- 7.T.S. Sørensen, M. Hennenberg and A. Sanfeld, J. Colloid Interf. Sci. 61, 62 (1977).Google Scholar
- 8.C.A. Miller and L.E. Scriven, J. Colloid Interf. Sci. 33, 360 (1970).Google Scholar
- 9.C.A. Miller and L.E. Scriven, J. Colloid Interf. Sci. 33, 371 (1970).Google Scholar
- 10.P.M. Bisch, Proceedings of the International Conference on Physical Chemistry and Hydrodynamics (Levich Conference, Oxford, July 1977), Hemisphere Publishing, in press.Google Scholar
- 11.M. Dupeyrat and E. Nakache, Electrical Phenomena at the Biological Membrane Level, Ed. E. Roux, Elsevier Publishing, Amsterdam (1977Google Scholar
- 12.P. Joos and Y. Verburgh,“Séminaire sur les Instabilités en Hydrodynamique — Convection Libre, Forcée et Mixte”,Brussels, April 1977.Google Scholar
- 13.A. Sanfeld, “Introduction to the Thermodynamics of Charged and Polarized Layers”, Chap. XVII, Wiley, London (1968).Google Scholar