Combined Use of a Superconducting Gravimeter and Scintrex Gravimeters for Hydrological Correction of Precise Gravity Measurements: A Superhybrid Gravimetry
A variant of hybrid gravimetry using both a superconducting gravimeter and Scintrex gravimeters is proposed. One of the main factors limiting the accuracy of time lapse gravity measurements is the instrumental drift of spring-type gravimeters. Running the Scintrex CG-5 gravimeter in the nighttime on the same pier as the superconducting gravimeter allows us to model the long-term behavior of the former and to remove efficiently the effect of irregular drift on measured gravity. Initial tests performed at Ishigakijima, Japan, proved that accuracy of a few μGal level can be achieved with this method. This will help us precisely correct for the effect of underground water on superconducting gravimeters with 2-dimensional local gravity survey.
KeywordsHybrid gravimetry Scintrex gravimeter Superconducting gravimeter
We thank the VERA Project of National Astronomical Observatory of Japan for supporting our superconducting gravimeter observations at the VERA Ishigakijima station. Comments by two anonymous reviewers were helpful for improving the paper. This work was financially supported by JSPS KAKENHI Grant Numbers JP23340125, JP26289350 and JP26610139, and by the Cooperative Research Program of Earthquake Research Institute, The University of Tokyo.
- Honma M, Oyama T, Hachikusa K, Sawada-Satoh S, Sebata K, Miyoshi M, Kameya O, Manabe S, Kawaguchi N, Sasao T, Kameno S, Fujisawa K, Shibata KM, Bushimata T, Miyaji T, Kobayashi H, Inoue M, Imai H, Araki H, Hanada H, Iwadate K, Kaneko Y, Kuji S, Sato K, Tsuruta S, Sakai S, Tamura Y, Horiai K, Hara T, Yokoyama K, Nakajima J, Kawai E, Okubo H, Osaki H, Koyama Y, Sekido M, Suzuyama T, Ichikawa R, Kondo T, Sakai K, Wada K, Harada N, Tougou N, Fujishita M, Shimizu R, Kawaguchi S, Yoshimura A, Nakamura M, Hasegawa W, Morisaki S, Kamohara R, Funaki T, Yamashita N, Watanabe T, Shimoikura T, Nishio M, Omodaka T, Okudaira A (2000) J-net galactic-plane survey of VLBI radio sources for VLBI exploration of radio astrometry (VERA). Publ Astron Soc Jpn 52:631–643CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ikeda H, Nawa K, Imanishi Y (2013) Refurbishment and performance of the superconducting gravimeter CT-36. J Geod Soc Jpn 59:25–36Google Scholar
- Okubo S (2001) Investigating earthquakes and volcanic activities with hybrid gravimetry. Jishin J 31:47–58Google Scholar
- Sugihara M (2009) Continuous gravity measurements for geothermal reservoir monitoring: –present status and a future scenario–. In: New Zealand Geothermal Workshop 2009 Proceedings, pp 14–19Google Scholar
- Van Camp M, Vanclooster M, Crommen O, Petermans T, Verbeeck K, Meurers B, van Dam T, Dassargues A (2006) Hydrogeological investigations at the Membach station, Belgium, and application to correct long periodic gravity variations. J Geophys Res 111:B10403. https://doi.org/10.1029/2006JB004405 CrossRefGoogle Scholar