A Non-tidal Atmospheric Loading Model: On Its Quality and Impacts on Orbit Determination and C20 from SLR
Based on European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF) ERA-Interim data we model displacements of global station coordinates due to non-tidal atmospheric loading based on Farrel’s theory. We compare these displacements to publicly available external displacements. We apply our displacements to Satellite Laser Ranging (SLR) data processing over a recent 6 years period of the LAGEOS, LARES, AJISAI, STARLETTE and STELLA geodetic satellites. We assess the impact of the loading model on the orbital fits of these missions. Indeed a tiny improvement shows up. We also quantify the impact of the non-tidal loading model on the large scale figure of the Earth expressed in terms of weekly C(2,0) harmonics. It turns out that here no effect is visible.
KeywordsDegree two harmonics Non-tidal atmospheric loading Precise orbit determination SLR
SLR data and a priori station coordinates are provided by the ILRS. EOPs are provided by IERS (2015).
- ECMWF (2015) European centre for medium-range weather forecasts, data archive services web site. http://www.ecmwf.int/products/-data/archive/index.html. Accessed 30 Oct 2015
- Flechtner F, Dobslaw (2013) AOD1B product description document for product release 05. GRACE Document GRACE 327–750 (GR-GFZ-AOD-0001). http://isdc.gfz-potsdam.de/-index.php?name=UpDownload\&req=getit\&lid=619. Accessed 30 Oct 2015Google Scholar
- Flechtner F, Thomas M, König R (2008) A long-term model for non-tidal atmospheric and oceanic mass redistributions and its implications on LAGEOS-derived solutions of Earth’s oblateness. Scientific Technical report STR08/12, GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences, Potsdam. ISSN 1610-0956Google Scholar
- Förste C, Bruinsma S, Shako R, Marty J-C, Flechtner F, Abrikosov O, Dahle C, Lemoine J-M, Neumayer H, Biancale R, Franz Barthelmes F, König R, Balmino G (2011) EIGEN-6 a new combined global gravity field model including GOCE data from the collaboration of GFZ-Potsdam and GRGS-Toulouse. Geophysical Res Abstr 13, EGU2011-3242-2, 2011, EGU General Assembly 2011. http://icgem.gfz-potsdam.de/ICGEM/documents/Foerste-et-al-EGU_2011-01.pdf. Accessed 30 Oct 2015
- Gegout P, Böhm J, Wijaya D (2010) Practical numerical computation of love numbers and applications. http://ggosatm.hg.tuwien.ac.at/LOADING/-COSTES0701/04_2010_COST_Vienna_Gegout.pdf. Accessed 15 June 2016
- IERS (2015) International Earth rotation and reference systems service web site. http://www.iers.org. Accessed 30 Oct 2015
- Petit G, Luzum B, IERS Conventions (2010). Bundesamts für Kartographie und Geodäsie, Frankfurt am Main. http://www.iers.org/TN36. Accessed 16 Sept 2013
- Petrov L (2015) The international mass loading service. http://arxiv.org/abs/1503.00191
- Zhu S, Reigber C, König R (2004) Integrated adjustment of CHAMP, GRACE and GPS data. J Geod 78(1–2):103–108Google Scholar