Localization Algorithm for Wireless Ad-Hoc Sensor Networks with Traffic Overhead Minimization by Emission Inhibition
Widely used positioning systems like GPS are not a valid solution in large networks with small size, low cost sensors, due both to their size and their cost. Thus, new solutions for localization awareness are emerging, commonly based on the existence of a few references spread into the network.
We propose a localization algorithm to reduce the number of transmitting nodes. The algorithm relies on self selecting nodes for location information disclosure. Each node makes a decision based on its proximity to the nodes in the area covered only by two of the references used for its own localization. We analyze different aspects of the location awareness propagation problem: communication overhead, redundant transmissions, network coverage.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Luo, H., Ye, F., Cheng, J., Lu, S., Zhang, L.: Ttdd: A two-tier data dissemination model for large-scale wireless sensor networks (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Intanagonwiwat, C., Govindan, R., Estrin, D.: Directed diffusion: a scalable and robust communication paradigm for sensor networks. In: Mobile Computing and Networking, pp. 56–67 (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Powell, O., Leone, P., Rolim, J.: Energy optimal data propagation in wireless sensor networks. arXiv.org automated e-print archives, Report CS-0508052, journal version submitted for publication (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Efthymiou, C., Nikoletseas, S., Rolim, J.: Energy balanced data propagation in wireless sensor networks (Invited paper in the Wireless Networks (WINET, Kluwer Academic Publishers) Journal, Special Issue on Best papers of the 4th Workshop on Algorithms for Wireless, Mobile, Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks (WMAN 2004) (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Savvides, A., Han, C.C., Strivastava, M.B.: Dynamic fine-grained localization in ad-hoc networks of sensors. In: Mobile Computing and Networking, pp. 166–179 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Savarese, C., Rabay, J., Langendoen, K.: Robust positioning algorithms for distributed ad-hoc wireless sensor networks usenix technical annual conference (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Aspnes, J., Eren, T., Goldenberg, D.K., Morse, A.S., Whiteley, W., Yang, Y.R., Anderson, B.D.O., Belhumeur, P.N.: A theory of network localization. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (to appear, 2006) (unpublished manuscript)Google Scholar
- 9.Bulusu, N., Heidemann, J., Estrin, D.: Gps-less low cost outdoor localization for very small devices (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Niculescu, D., Nath, B.: Ad hoc positioning system (aps) using aoa (2003)Google Scholar