Key Revocation for Identity-Based Schemes in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
Recently, identity-based cryptographic (IBC) schemes have been considered to secure mobile ad hoc networks (MANETs) due to their efficient key management properties. However, proposed schemes do not provide mechanisms for key revocation and key renewal. In this paper, we propose the first key revocation and key renewal mechanisms for IBC schemes that are especially designed for MANETs. In our fully self-organized revocation scheme, each node monitors nodes in communication range and securely propagates its observations. The public key of a node is revoked if a minimum number of nodes accused the node. To enable key renewal, we introduce a modified format for ID-based public keys, such that new keys can be issued for the same identity. The introduced revocation scheme is efficient because it uses pre-shared keys from the Weil pairing and messages are sent to an m-hop neighborhood instead to the entire network.
KeywordsIdentity-Based Schemes Revocation Key Renewal Mobile Ad Hoc Networks Neighborhood Monitoring
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Deng, H., Mukherjee, A., Agrawal, D.P.: Threshold and Identity-based Key Management and Authentication for Wireless Ad Hoc Networks. In: International Conference on Information Technology: Coding and Computing (ITCC 2004), vol. 1, pp. 107–115 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Hoeper, K., Gong, G.: Short paper: Limitations of Key Escrow in Identity-Based Schemes in Ad Hoc Networks. In: Security and Privacy for Emerging Areas in Communication Networks (SecureComm 2005) (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Hoeper, K., Gong, G.: Identity-Based Key Exchange Protocols for Ad Hoc Networks. In: Canadian Workshop on Information Theory –CWIT 2005 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Hoeper, K., Gong, G.: Bootstrapping Security in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks Using Identity-Based Schemes with Key Revocation, Technical Report CACR 2006-04, Centre for Applied Cryptographic Research, University of Waterloo (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Luo, H., Zerfos, P., Kong, J., Lu, S., Zhang, L.: Self-Securing Ad Hoc Wireless Networks. In: Seventh IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC 2002) (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Perkins, C.E., Royer, E.M., Das, S.R.: Ad Hoc On Demand Distance Vector (AODV) Routing. IETF Internet draft, Internet Draft (draft-ietf-manet-aodv-09.txt), Work in Progress (November 2001)Google Scholar