Selection of Materialized Relations in Ontology Repository Management System
With the growth of ontology scale and complexity, the query performance of Ontology Repository Management System (ORMS) becomes more and more important. The paper proposes materialized relations technique which speeds up query processing in ORMS by making the implicit derived relations of ontology explicit. Here the selection of materialized relations is a key problem, because the materialized relations technique trades off required inference time against maintenance cost and storage space. However, the problem has not been discussed formally before. So the paper proposes a QSS model to describe the queries set of ontology formally and gives the benefit evaluation model and the selection algorithm of materialized relations based on QSS model. The method in this paper not only considers the benefit in query response of the materialization technique, but also the storage and maintenance cost of it. In the end, an application case is introduced to prove the selection method of materialized relations is effective.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Li, M., Du, X., Wang, S.: A Study on Ontology Repository Management System for the Semantic Web. In: Proc. of the 22nd National Database Conference. Published by Computer Science, vol. 32(7.A), pp. 35–39 (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Pan, Z., Heflin, J.: DLDB: Extending Relational Databases to Support Semantic Web Queries. In: Workshop on Practical and Scalable Semantic Systems, ISWC 2003 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.RDF(S), http://www.w3.org/RDF/
- 7.Widom, J. (ed.): Special Issue on Materialized Views and Data Warehousing. IEEE Data Engineering Bulletin 18 (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.Li, M., Wang, Y., Zhao, Y., et al.: A Study on Storage Schema of Large Scale Ontology based on Relational Database. In: Proc. of CNCC, pp. 216–219 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Wilkinson, K., Sayers, C., Kuno, H.A., Reynolds, D.: Efficient RDF Storage and Retrieval in Jena2. In: Proc. of SWDB, pp. 131–150 (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Agrawal, R., Somani, A., Xu, Y.: Storage and Querying of E-Commerce Data. In: Proc. of VLDB (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Beckett, D.: The Design and Implementation of the Redland RDF Application Framework. In: Proc. of WWW (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.Gupta, H.: Selection of Views to Materialized in Data Warehouse. In: Afrati, F.N., Kolaitis, P.G. (eds.) ICDT 1997. LNCS, vol. 1186, pp. 98–112. Springer, Heidelberg (1996)Google Scholar
- 15.Roy, P., Seshadri, S., Sudarshan, S., et al.: Efficient and Extensible Algorithms for Multi-query Optimization. In: ACM SIGMOD Intl. Conf. on Management of Data (2000)Google Scholar