High-Radix Addition and Multiplication in the Electron Counting Paradigm Using Single Electron Tunneling Technology
The Electron Counting (EC) paradigm was proved to be an efficient methodology for computing arithmetic operations in Single Electron Tunneling (SET) technology. In previous research EC based addition and multiplication have been implemented. However, the effective performance of these schemes is diminished by fabrication technology imposed practical limitations. To alleviate this problem high radix computation was suggested. In this paper we present a high radix EC addition scheme and a high radix EC multiplication scheme. For both arithmetic operations, we first briefly present the normal (non high radix) EC schemes. Second, we present the high radix schemes and explain their functionality. Third, we explain the implementation of the high radix schemes in details. Finally, we present simulation results and evaluate the schemes in terms of delay and area cost.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Waser, R. (ed.): Nanoelectronics and Information Technology - Advanced Electronic Materials and Novel Devices, 1st edn. Wiley-VCH, Berlin (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors, 2003 Edition, Executive Summary (2003), Downloadable from website: http://public.itrs.net/Home.htm
- 4.Lageweg, C., Cotofana, S., Vassiliadis, S.: Static buffered set based logic gates. In: 2nd IEEE Conference on Nanotechnology (NANO), pp. 491–494 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Cotofana, S., Lageweg, C., Vassiliadis, S.: On computing addition related arithmetic operations via controlled transport of charge. In: Proceedings of 16th IEEE Symposium on Computer Arithmetic, pp. 245–252 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Wasshuber, C.: About Single-Electron Devices and Circuits. PhD thesis, TU Vienna (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.Lageweg, C., Cotofana, S., Vassiliadis, S.: A Linear Threshold Gate Implementation in Single Electron Technology. In: IEEE Computer Society Workshop on VLSI, pp. 93–98 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Meenderinck, C.: Single electron tunneling based arithmetic operations. Master’s thesis, Delft University of Technology (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Likharev, K., Korotkov, A.: Ultradense Hybrid SET/FET Dynamic RAM: Feasibility of Background Charge Independent Room Temperature Single Electron Digital Circuits. In: Proceedings of the International Semiconductor Device Research Symposium, Charlottesville, Virginia, pp. 355–359 (1995)Google Scholar
- 13.Parhami, B.: Computer Arithmetic. Oxford University Press, Oxford (2000)Google Scholar
- 14.Dadda, L.: Some schemes for parallel multipliers. Alta Frequenza 34, 349–356 (1965)Google Scholar
- 15.Meenderinck, C., Cotofana, S.D.: Computing periodic symmetric functions in single electron tunneling technology. In: Proceedings of International Semiconductor Conference (CAS), pp. 47–50 (2005)Google Scholar