Real-Time Intrusion Detection in Ubiquitous Networks with a String-Based Approach
In this paper we introduce the detection details and experimental results of our proposed Service-oriented and User-centric Intrusion Detection System (SUIDS). SUIDS is designed for ubiquitous computing environments like a smart home/office. It adopts a novel auditing mechanism and flexible system architecture to meet the special requirements of ubiquitous networks. Specifically, the paper shows how a string-based method is used in a user profile to represent the user’s short-term behavior in due course; and how an appropriate string length and threshold value are determined in order to balance the system’s false alarm rate and detection effectiveness. As a result, SUIDS achieve real-time intrusion detection in ubiquitous networks with a lightweight and adaptable detection model.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Weiser, M.: The computer for the 21st century. Scientific American (International Edition) 265(3), 66–75 (1991)Google Scholar
- 3.Thompson, H., Whittaker, J., Andrews, M.: Intrusion detection: perspectives on the insider threat. Computer Fraud & Security, 13–15 (Janaury 2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Debar, H., Dacier, M., Wespi, A.: A revised taxonomy for intrusion-detection systems. Annales des Telecommunications 55(7-5), 361–378 (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Zhou, B., Shi, Q., Merabti, M.: A framework for intrusion detection in heterogeneous environments. In: Proceedings of 3rd IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference (CCNC 2006), Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, Janaury 2006, vol. 2, pp. 1244–1248 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Zhou, B., Shi, Q., Merabti, M.: A novel service-oriented and user-centric intrusion detection system for ubiquitous networks. In: Proceedings of IASTED International Conference on Communication, Network and Information Security (CNIS 2005), Phoenix, Arizona, USA, November 2005, pp. 76–81 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Du, Y., Wang, H., Pang, Y.: Design of a distributed intrusion detection system based on independent agents. In: IEEE Proceedings of International Conference on Intelligent Sensing and Information Processing, pp. 254–257 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Northcutt, S., Novak, J.: Network intrusion detection (New Riders Pub, (2002) c2003) ISBN: 0735712654Google Scholar
- 10.Lunt, T., Tamaru, A., Gilham, F., Jagannathan, R., Neumann, P., Javitz, H., Valdes, A., Garvey, T.: A real-time intrusion detection expert system (IDES) - final technical report. Computer Science Laboratory, SRI International, Menlo Park, Califomia (February 1992)Google Scholar
- 11.Zhang, Z., Manikopoulos, C., Jorgenson, J.: Architecture of generalized network service anomaly and fault thresholds. In: MMNS 2001, pp. 241–255 (2001)Google Scholar
- 12.GTNetS homepage, http://www.ece.gatech.edu/research/labs/MANIACS/GTNetS/
- 13.Royer, E., Toh, C.-K.: A Review of Current Routing Protocols for Ad Hoc Mobile Wireless Networks. IEEE Pers. Commun., 46–55 (April 1999)Google Scholar