Curriculum Development for the Gifted Elementary School Students in Computer
With wide spread of recognition of importance on gifted elementary school students in computer, the numbers of public and private institutes recognizing and fostering the gifted elementary school students in computer have been increasing. Keeping pace with these interests, standard curriculum must be developed first and adopted in courses. However, most institutes have developed their own teaching materials with their own curriculum. In evaluating capabilities of the gifted students in computer, how students acquire skills on application software such as word processor and spreadsheet software has been considered an important factor. But, in order to evaluate the gifted students in computer accurately, various factors such as applicability, tenacity, initiativeness, curiosity must be considered. In this paper, we present a curriculum for the gifted elementary school students in computer. Our curriculum can be classified into three categories, Knowledge, Skill and Morality, respectively. Our proposed curriculum is designed by considering existing curricula for all elementary school students and various standards for computer contests.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lee, K., Jun, W.: A Creativity Development Study for the Gifted Elementary School Students in Computer. In: Proceedings of the 8th Korean Association of Information Education Winter Conference, pp. 404–412 (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Ministry of Education & Human Resources Development: Administration Guideline of ICT Education for Elementary and Secondary Schools, Curriculum Materials (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Na, D.: Development of a Curriculum of Education for the Elementary Gifted Children of Information Science, Elementary Computer Education major, Graduate School, Inchon National University of Education (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Oh, S.: Definition and Recognition System for Gifted Students in Computer, Master Thesis, Computer Education Major, Graduate School of Education, Sungkyunkwan University, Korea (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Ryu, K., Lee, J.: A Study on Information & Communication Ethics Education for the Gifted Elementary School Students in Information Science. In: Proceedings of the 8th Korean Association of Information Education Summer Conference, pp. 199–206 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Shin, S.: A Study on Development of a Program for the Identification of Information Gifted Children based on the Ability of a Discrete Thinking, Master Thesis, Elementary Computer Education major, Graduate School, Korea National University of Education (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Yu, K.: Study on Recognition of Computer Teachers for Gifted Students in Information Science, Master Thesis, Graduate School of Education, Hanyang University (2002)Google Scholar